Blueberry advice please

• 17 Replies

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Blueberry advice please
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 10:12 »
Quote from: "waddecar"
Quote from: "little sweetpeas"

I need to put them in pots before putting them at the allotment as the area i'm going to use isn't mine yet. How big should the pots be.

I take it that they are bare root. How long do you anticipate that they will be in pots? If they will still be in pots when growth recommences in spring the roots will start to circle how ever big the pot which is best avoided. But if you have no choice then choose a pot size that will allow you to get compost (use ericaceus) around and between all roots.

If however you anticipate a wait of only a few weeks put them into some old compost bags with some compost around the roots keep moist and keep in a cold but frost free storage location and they will be fine until you can get them into the ground - if you haven't got the plot yet do you know if it has low ph?

Well when i asked how quickly they needed to be planted into bigger pots she said they didn't. but even i know that to grow they will need to be moved from the pots they are currently in.

I'm hoping to be allowed to take on an area of 45ft x 25ft which is part of a plot next to mine. This will be for my fruit. However I don't think I'm going to be allowed to start using it until January.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

Trillium

Blueberry advice please
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 15:19 »
For your short term wait, it doesn't matter if the plants stay in the same pot. But some folk have only room for potted plants so they must put them in considerably larger permanent pots. yours wouldn't be the case. Blueberries grow naturally in the wildest, coldest areas of the country so planting them in January is just fine for them. Keep the roots intact as you put them into the ground and water them well if needed. People don't realize that blueberries really are thirsty plants.  And do remember to net them against wildlife and 2-footed wildlife.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Blueberry advice please
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 16:05 »
Thanks Trillium,

Are some types more suited to pots.

The blueberrys come in packs of three and don't come with much info.
The labels just say Julia, Augusta and Septa. Fruiting, well i'm sure you can guess.

xx
Blueberry advice please

Started by Susannah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 15:21
by Trillium
xx
Blueberry Advice

Started by tribs on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 12:16
by simonwatson
xx
Blueberry Advice Please

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 17, 2013, 16:36
by Trillium
xx
Cranberry & Blueberry Advice

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 09:29
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 27 queries.