trying again after fox attack and how to secure run ?

• 17 Replies

garddwr

« on: December 06, 2008, 20:48 »
Hi,

I don't normaly visist the hen house but tonight I thought I must.

I don't know if you all know but I lost all of my 6 hens from a fox attack at the end of October,it still remains a mystery to how the fox got in(so any suggestions would be great).I really miss the hens and I have cleaned down the coop and put it in the garage over winter on the hope of getting more hens.

Here is the run and coop the day after:

I'm scared that it will happen again so can anyone give any suggestions to what I can do to the run to stop the fox getting in ?

and secondly when is the best time to get more hens ?

Thanks

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 20:58 »
Hi, I'm really sorry about your loss, I lost two of my ducks to a fox recently and another 4 were injured so I have also been assessing the safety of my birds.

I can't see from your pic but is the run covered? Foxes are incredibly agile and can scramble over a 6' fence with ease. Mine are now always locked in a covered run at night although I do run the risk of letting them freerange in the garden during the day. I have also got a sonic fox deterrent. Don't know if it does any good but it can't do any harm.

Also could the fox have dug in?

Foxy has set up a great thread on protecting our birds, I think in the Hen House on a sticker.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 21:11 »
You really need to know how the fox got in garddwr  :(

They can jump over a 7ft fence.  

They can dig under a fence if the wire is no burried at least 10 inches deep or there is  a wire skirt 10 inches wide on the ground outside the run.  

They can bite through chicken wire.  

They can push through a 4 inch gap, which you may not notice if it is a gap between posts and wire which is not easily apparent to a visual examination. (Give it all a good pushing round the joins.)

They can bite through wood if the can get a grip on it with their teeth.

I'm sure there must be more the cunning little devils can do too  :evil:

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 21:51 »
But they can't outrun an ounce and a half of BBs :-)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 21:52 »
Most of us don't have that option available SS !

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 22:11 »
I remember your thread well -its was heartbreaking.
Looking at your photo -I can see 2 ways the fox got in, maybe 3 -sorry.
Firstly, the fact you had a sturdy builders fence -the fox would have climbed over without any problem and I think that was the most likely way in, they are very good climbers ONLY if they can see the top and the fence is sturdy, ironically if they fence is high and "saggy" that would act as  a detterent,(a bit like trying to climb cargo net -impossible!  :D )as well as the top foot or so leaning outwards if that makes sense? Maybe you could cover the top securely thats another option?
Secondly, a fox will dig-and could've dug under the fence, now I guess you would have spotted that, however, if you have chooks in there and he comes by and cant get over the top he will for sure try and dig under your fencing.
So, either have a very high fence with the top leaning outwards plus protect the base from a fox digging -old paving slabs might do the job or ideally a couple of strands of electrified wire running around the bottom will do the trick.
I hope this helps and truly hope you are able to have some more hens -would love to see picccys of them very soon!
Oh POL hybrids are available all year round -pure breeds are great and best to get them late spring as usually available from small breeders who tend to hatch early in the year so logically wont be ready until late spring. :D PLease vet your suppliers very carefully first though -and if in any doubt about their health -dont buy!!!

I am sure others will add some tips too! :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 22:32 »
I also remembe well your post. :(

I think the post and rail fence was thought to be the likely leg up for entry.

The flimsy fencing around the top sounds like a good idea. It wouldn't easily get past it adn wouldn't want to risk fallign from such a height.
We have slabs on top of mesh skirt round the base of ours.

If you can run to electric fencing, it's supposed to be the best deterrant.

If you can keep your resident fox out of the run, he should keep any others away for you.

Good luck with it and keep us updated.

Rob 8)

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 01:24 »
A single low outlier of leccy fence in combo with your kind of fencing is supposed to be pretty secure against foxes, it discourages climbing and digging.
I think I'd put some floppy fence suspended outwards from the panels as well, just to be sure, as the fox knows he got food there before. :(
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

garddwr

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 16:45 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
I also remembe well your post. :(

I think the post and rail fence was thought to be the likely leg up for entry.

The flimsy fencing around the top sounds like a good idea. It wouldn't easily get past it adn wouldn't want to risk fallign from such a height.
We have slabs on top of mesh skirt round the base of ours.

If you can run to electric fencing, it's supposed to be the best deterrant.

If you can keep your resident fox out of the run, he should keep any others away for you.

Good luck with it and keep us updated.

Rob 8)

I understand the post and rail fence theroy Rob but how did he get out after?

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 16:56 »
Guess it was able to clamber up the inside. Apparently it wouldn't be too difficult to climb up. The floppy fence top sounds like a good idea.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 18:25 »
Simplest thing to do is give the fox, or any other unwanted animals for that matter, a nice treat, laced with poison. In turn if the fox has cubs, they get the poison through the milk of the mother too. I have no sympathy for any vermin, wether it be for Fox, Cat, Rat etc.
They have no right to enter your garden/pen and deserve everything they get, the only protection you have is to kill them first before they kill your livestock... Harsh I know!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 18:32 »
I don't think foxes understand the concept of "rights", it is a purely human one. They do what they need to to survive and they work within their nature. Yes it seems senseless to kill all of the birds and only take one but dead birds don't run or fly away and so are there for the next meal.

Our responsibility as keepers is to protect our charges and if that can be done without killing so much the better. If not then I would kill to protect mine and prevent a further attack like the one my ducks recently suffered. I haven't had to as increasing the security has been sufficient.

I could be wrong but I think it is illegal to poison foxes, nevermind inefficient and impossible to safely target. Trapping and shooting are permitted I believe. Killing is NOT our only option!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 19:28 »
You're quite right Kate - it is illegal to poison foxes  :!:

http://www.oxfordcroquet.com/care/foxes/index.asp

AndyRVTR

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 19:43 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
You're quite right Kate - it is illegal to poison foxes  :!:

http://www.oxfordcroquet.com/care/foxes/index.asp

It is only illegal if you are caught!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 19:45 »
NO.. it's always illegal and this forum cannot allow recommendations for any illegal practices  :!:

xx
secure surroundings for chickens

Started by lorracash on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 14:02
by evie2
xx
Dog Attack

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 17:25
by LittleRedHen
xx
Fox attack

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 17:46
by Sweetbriar
sad
fox attack to day

Started by GARRY on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 19:02
by Feathers

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 31 queries.