Raised Beds

• 4 Replies

anti

Raised Beds
« on: December 05, 2008, 20:03 »
So I've been reading all the pros and cons and how tos about Raised Beds, they seem to the the easy manageable answer, but the two how tos I've seen suggest just plonking what is essentially an open bottomed box on the law and filling with compost and manure, is this really all there is to it?

I am curious as to whether I will need to dig underneath the box, or if not will doing so be any benefit at all?  If no digging is done where lawn was, will it not affect roots if the sides of raised beds are only 30cm or so high as most guides suggest?

Apologies again for the onslaught of newbie questions, they seem so simple but find it so hard to find answers.  :-s

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Raised Beds
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 20:33 »
If it was me I would dig over the bottom of the bed, remove the turfs and stack them up side down to rot down, if you don't have any room for that put the turves back into the bottom of the bed again upside down they will rot down and provide nutrients.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Raised Beds
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 20:47 »
I would definately take turf off. In April i did one bed taking turf off digging and one just filling up with compost. (Because by the time i'd done the first me back had given up and i thought i'd be lazy :( )
BUT the bed i didn't do wasnt as productive and had a lot of problems with pests (wireworms i think) and to be honest i'm having to dig it really deeply now and the turfs still not rotted properly its like claggy lumps.

You've got lots of time if you start now to dig your beds just go slowly so you look after your back.

Good luck

anti

Raised Beds
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 21:13 »
That's the kind of information I was hoping for!    Would it aid stuff at all if I dug over and pulled weeds and rocks etc from the soil where beds will be even if they are raised?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Raised Beds
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 21:28 »
Yes IMHO esp' if your planting deep rooted veg like parsnip etc.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
lamp
Raised Beds

Started by Raspberry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 19:52
by daisy1990
xx
New raised beds

Started by Brian Green fingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 14:54
by Brian Green fingers
xx
raised beds again

Started by Green Goddess on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 12:58
by Janeymiddlewife

Page created in 1.095 seconds with 32 queries.