Brand new purpose built Allotments

• 14 Replies

bernie101

« on: December 02, 2008, 21:38 »
Out of interest, has anyone ever heard of a council ever setting up a brand new allotment site should there be 6 or more rate paying voters registering a demand for allotments if none are provided locally?

Just a thought since all we ever hear about are site closures, abandoned sites and huge waiting lists?

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 22:01 »
Whilst not answering your question I wrote to my MP as there was a debate in the House of Commons on 22 July regarding the provision of allotments.    

His response was that:-

"An Adjournment Debate such as this one offers little opportunity for speakers other than the Member who has requested the debate and the Minister who responds to it.   In this instance a few others were able to make brief interjections.   However, there was broad agreement from all present and the Minister agreed “to put a rocket up local authorities” to ensure that they are using existing legislation to ensure that sufficient allotments are available to satisfy local demand.

You may wish to use the above if you write to your local authority although I guess without being too political either way that currently there may be other issues that need their money more whichever party is in charge.  :?

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 22:51 »
The law says the Council are obliged to find a site if there is a demand from 6 or more people.

The allotments in my village were closed and built on many years ago. A group approached the Parish Council and they negotiated with a local landowner to rent a suitable piece of land.

Five years ago a site with 12  plots was established with rabbit fencing, standpipes and a communal shed. Some of the plots have been split and there is a waiting list of about 5 people. The rent we pay covers the ground rent and cost of water used and includes an amount to repay the Council for the setting up costs i.e. fencing, standpipes and shed. We are not allowed individual sheds and no pigs, chickens etc.

I believe this was done with the support of the local Horticultural Society who run a village produce show each Summer.

Good luck.

peterjf

allotment sites
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 23:09 »
in hull there are 22 allotment sites ,

here in newland avenue there are 270 plots of 300 sq yds covering 26 acres , hull city council are doing a great job ,

they redeveloped on site and relocated the plot keepers to a new site , each plot keeper got a new greenhouse and a shed ,

for our site there are some 120 people on the waiting list

penance

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 08:38 »
I believe it was done in the late '90s in Bristol.

des

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:19 »
I tried to get our local council to provide some using the 6 signatures, they were willing to do it but could not find the land  :(

tallulah

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 14:40 »
If I was really determined, I'd try and get the services of a local solicitor (hopefully a garden friendly one!) and get them to write a letter or two.  Yes it costs a bit, but anything hinting of legal action soon gets recalcitrant organisations sitting up and taking notice.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 15:38 »
Funny, we were just talking about this today, I believe there are some 200 people on the waiting list here in Blackpool and they have closed it for now. Blackpool council are trying to set up a new site but this has been a long struggle and it went through the courts why? Because local residents objected to it, they prefer to see it wasteland  :roll: anyways the council won the right and I hear it will start next year clearing and fencing the site. I am not sure how big it will be but it proves our council are not sitting on the fence.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 18:46 »
A new site has been agreed on the outskirts of Sheffield after local residents pursued it with the council. Unfortunatly some of the other locals are complaining that the area is greenbelt\areas of special interest etc.

Dont know the area so I can not comment but rather have allotments then new houses.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/War-over-allotments.4094775.jp
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

SalJ1980

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 09:47 »
Quote from: "des"
I tried to get our local council to provide some using the 6 signatures, they were willing to do it but could not find the land  :(

Hmmm...you have to wonder how hard they actually tried to find some land?  :roll:
Sal

Organic...so far!

bernie101

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 21:29 »
The waiting lists here in Trafford are not too bad.

I count myself very lucky to have only waited one month to get a plot.

I suppose we must accept that there should be a fine line between a "reasonable" wait, or too many plots which go wild if there are more than the demand can fill.

BTW - I am a garden friendly solicitor!

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 21:54 »
Quote from: "bernie101"
The waiting lists here in Trafford are not too bad.

I count myself very lucky to have only waited one month to get a plot.

I suppose we must accept that there should be a fine line between a "reasonable" wait, or too many plots which go wild if there are more than the demand can fill.

BTW - I am a garden friendly solicitor!

No wonder you only waited a month!  :D

bernie101

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 21:57 »
Hmmm? Digging in a robe and wig is tricky though!  :roll:

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Re: allotment sites
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 22:01 »
Quote from: "peterjf"
in hull there are 22 allotment sites ,

here in newland avenue there are 270 plots of 300 sq yds covering 26 acres , hull city council are doing a great job ,

they redeveloped on site and relocated the plot keepers to a new site , each plot keeper got a new greenhouse and a shed ,

for our site there are some 120 people on the waiting list

I wouldn't want people to think this is the picture right across Hull.

Newland avenue allotments are legendary. If anybody was to make a programme about allotment life I dont think there will be a better place to start. they even had art installations a few years back celebrating the vegetable.

I wish I was there, but as peter says lifetime waiting list!
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

nellie.b

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 17:21 »
As well as the school plot that we are trying to set up,one of the local Residents Associations is also wanting to try to re-open some allotments that were closed years ago because of lack of interest. they have the backing of the local housing association,who have said they will help with some funding to get things started.If the land has previously been used for that purpouse,can they refuse? (it is no good for house building)

xx
Brand new bed - but what can i put in it now?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 13:23
by peapod
xx
Anyone used Q4 Vitax multi-purpose?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 19:06
by cissie
xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette
xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband

Page created in 2.617 seconds with 29 queries.