Asian Pear Trees

• 6 Replies

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Asian Pear Trees
« on: December 02, 2008, 16:40 »
Has anyone tried growing Asian pears in a trained form ie espalier? I understand that they make large trees - am I right? Any info would be good. Thanks in anticipation.

SG6

Asian Pear Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 22:00 »
I have one, about 18ft+ tree. Big.
Would not expect it to be trainable into anything.
No idea what rootstock it is on but it is a good solid trunk, 10ins dia.

Problem could be pollination.
I use a Williams column tree from K Muirs planted about 6 ft away.
They flower at the same time and the Williams will pollinate the Asian pear. I get nothing on the Williams.

Size of tree may depend on the variety that you have as I had a second that never really managed to grow, just sat there doing nothing for 5 years then died. Cannot recall the type of the one I have, began with an "N" I think.

It is on a chalk soil and the soil is fairly shallow but still a large tree.

For some reason it usually flowers about 2 days before the last frost of the year. But until this year the cropping has always been good. No idea why this year was poor.

Pick fruit before they get at all soft, they have to be firm and crisp. Once even a bit soft to touch they are not as good.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Asian Pear Trees
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 12:47 »
Many thanks for your reply - I was thinking of buying one but it will be far too big I fear, hence the thought of training it. Bit of a shame as I prefer them to ordinary pears & they're very expensive in the shops.

coatesi

Asian Pear Trees
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 06:58 »
Greengirl
             I have just removed an Asian Pear tree from my section as it got Fireblight. They are called Nashi or Sand Pear here in NZ and are a beautiful tree to grow and a magnificent fruit to eat. Easy to grow and will be OK to espalier as long as you are hard on the pruning every winter as the new growth is quite prolific.
coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Asian Pear Trees
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:36 »
Thanks coatesi - what a shame you've lost your tree, are you going to replace it?  I was thinking of removing one of my espalier apples (as I have too many) & replacing it with an asian pear, but it would be quite a job. I already have a conference pear - not sure if that would pollinate it though. Think i'll think about it a bit more before I do anything drastic.

SG6

Asian Pear Trees
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 17:10 »
You could ask about the rootstock they are available on.
As I said I have no idea what mine is on and there may be ones that are more dwarfing and therefore suitable to training.
Certainly the one I have is not dwarfing and is too big, but the fruit (lots od it) is nice.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Asian Pear Trees
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 12:48 »
Thanks for your replies SG6 - perhaps as they get more popular, more rootstocks will become available - until then, or until I have a bigger garden I think i'll have to dream.

xx
Asian Pear Tree...Will it ever fruit?

Started by always_mowing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 18:53
by always_mowing
xx
Pear Trees

Started by ihusker on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2007, 12:39
by ihusker
xx
Pear Trees

Started by Fleetwood Pete on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 17:22
by aqua
xx
Pear trees

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 21:24
by Ma and Pa Snip

Page created in 0.725 seconds with 28 queries.