2 New Hens added to the house

• 9 Replies

Flyin Chickens

« on: November 24, 2008, 12:57 »
I have just added 2 new POL yesterday afternoon to my existing 1 two year old.  I have left them all closed in the hen house with food and water today and will let them all out tomorrow.

Any Ideas on how they should get on?  My existing hen was giving them what for yesterday.....does this last long (i know that this is all about then sorting out the order from 1-3)

Thanks

Ian

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 13:05 »
Depends on the size of your henhouse -they might all be having bun-fights in there by now :?
A good idea is to put them together while roosting they dont  fight when roosting, and see what happens during the day. Do you have in an enclosed run? Are they similar age wise and breed? Younger birds will get picked on by older ones and some breeds are more tolerant than others.

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 13:15 »
The older hen is a red rocket whilst the 2 new girls are golden rockets.

I have an enclosed run.

I had a quiet listen last night and this morning and couldn't hear much going on and everything look ok when I changed the water (All 3 sat on the bar)

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 21:31 »
I know that I am only 3 days in but does anyone have any ideas how long before things start to calm down.  My original hen is giving the other two one heck of a peck and always seems to be looking for a fight.

Any ideas??????? :(

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 22:26 »
Hi FC, sorry to tell you that when I added three new hens to two existing they were made to sit on the naughty perch for weeks!  But thankfully no blood drawn.  I think that if you can give them as much space as possible it might help.
janet

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 22:30 »
Takes about 3 weeks in my experience  :(

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 09:00 »
3 weeks....cant wait!!

Sorry next question......When I let them out in the morning they don't want to come out (Just the original is coming out for a drink)

Should I take them out of the house or leave them to it???

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 21:49 »
Good news.....come home today to find all 3 standing outside the hen house in the run(Poppy has not allowed the 2 new girls to step out of the coup since day 1)
She still chased them back in once I threw some corn in but they are becoming brave and so came back out and ate some.

Here’s hoping that we have turned the corner and they will all start to get along.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 23:37 »
FC, I'm in the same boat! I got 2 new birds at the Nationals and put them in after dark on day 1. They seem to be a few 'scuffles' but nothing too bad.
My original girls are Bantams (Pekin and a silkie) and I've introduced a bantam Buff Orp and a Blue Cochin which I've been ASSURED won't grow any bigger than she is now - she looks MASSIVE compared to the rest so we've called her Cookie (as in Cookie...Monster!)
I've been told adding more than one source of food/water can help as most scuffles occur at the feeders? Not done it with my girls as it seems to be going ok - Cookie is setting her stamp of dominance seeing as she's so big and Violet (the pekin) who was No 1 hen just seems confused!?!?  :lol:

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 17:37 »
Let the girls out this morning to find the 2 new girls push past poppy to get the usual morning treats first....She gave them a few unhappy looks and pretend pecks and took the lions share but everything looks to be going well now.

I had given them and additional area of the garden to help them have more room to run and hide when things got nasty but I think that I will be able to take that area back tomorrow.

2 weeks is a lot faster than I was expecting (especially how the first 2-3 days went)

xx
4 hens plus a rooster added to flock

Started by french bob on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 16:18
by french bob
xx
new hens won't go in the hen house.

Started by rdcuthbert on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 15:55
by JACDORE
xx
Hen House wanted for 3-4 hens

Started by mjc9 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 08:31
by mjc9
xx
How Many Hens for my Size of House & Run?

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 19:16
by rcandy2001

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 29 queries.