Cherry Tree pruning

• 3 Replies

FRUITFULL

Cherry Tree pruning
« on: November 22, 2008, 18:14 »
I have a Prunus Cerasus Morel Cherry tree.It looks like it needs pruning as there is lots of twigs growing in all directions,but i have searched to find out how!All i can find is to prune between mid autumn and early spring and the new Cherries grow on the new growth but i dont know what to cut off to keep its shape to grow healthy.Has anyone got any advise please as i dont want to make a mess of this. :?  :?

paintedlady

Cherry Tree pruning
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 18:59 »
:oops:  have to say that the black morello tree my mother had that was trained against some trellising, got trimmed back a bit like a hedge as we didn't know any better.  It never suffered from lack of flower or fruit every year though so is probably a pretty versatile thing.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

SG6

Cherry Tree pruning
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 09:10 »
I recall that as a general rule you should not prune stone fruit in the winter. They are susceptable to silver leaf infection.

That stiff bit inside the cherry is a stone :D  :D

I have lost a plum to silver leaf and also a bonsai cherry.

The book I have in my hand says:

Pruning: There are 2 basic points to remember. Do not prune in winter and paint all cut with Arbrex. These measures are necessary to reduce the risk of silver leaf infection.

Morellos fruit on year old wood so if pruned a lot this year (or next) they would need a year to establish old wood again.

Difficult to say how to prune as it really depends on the trees shape and size. In general aim for 3-5 primary branches, the 2-3 secondary branches off of these. After that remove anything that it is dead/diseased/damaged. Then anything growing vertical, keep everything as horizontal as reasonable. Then neaten up whatever is left.

penance

Cherry Tree pruning
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 13:55 »
Please don't use Arberex. Its an old fasion idea that some books still suggest.
The fact is that by sealing the wound you can seal in any existing fungal spores or disease, it also covers any rot so by the time it is noticed it may be to late.

xx
Pruning a small cherry tree

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 21:26
by gobs
xx
'Early Rivers' Cherry Tree 5-6 ft , Found a'Dwarf cherry' is this better?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 14:27
by Judd
xx
Pruning a fruiting cherry

Started by RubyR3d on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 00:52
by BumbleJo
xx
hi all cherry tree help please

Started by stuart curran on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 16:02
by stuart curran

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 36 queries.