soil improvement

• 6 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
soil improvement
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:30 »
can someone please give me a bit of guidance.

The garden i have to grow my veg has poor soil and is very black n dusty it looks as if a lot of soot has been added over the years.It tends to  go greeny looking in the winter. :shock: There is yellowish clay subsoil.  I know if i added loads of manure or mushroom compost that would help BUT i live down a terrace with no road access and my back is just not up to barrowing loads of stuff down from the road.  :cry:
I started composting in march but am only getting a very small amount. Think it would take years to make any difference.

I have no experience with green manures...are these the way for me to go?

Or any other ideas please

compostqueen

soil improvement
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:41 »
It doesn't sound very healthy does it, and without importing loads of bulky organic matters to add to it then there's not much you can do other than the home compost which won't help you immediately.  

The green algae might be a sign that it's holding water (heavy clay and clay subsoil)  Heavy clay needs lightening with the addition of the above materials and I can't think of a quick fix

Sorry  

Leaf mould is good too so hang on to any leaves, or go out and collect some and leave those to rot down for a year.  Again, long term but if you start now ...  :D

woodburner

soil improvement
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:58 »
Green manure does indeed sound the way to go. Buckwheat has deep roots and lots of foliage, so should help with both the clay and provide lots of material for the compost heap.

The soot is possibly a sign that it was cultivated before, as I knew an allotmenter that regularly put soot on his garden patch. He said it helps warm the soil, so that's where he plants the crops he wants to start early.

I'd use the compost and even what hasn't yet composted to fill a trench for beans. I think courgettes etc. will also cope with still composting material, too. HTH :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Yammer

soil improvement
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 13:08 »
Sounds like the soil is getting very wet if it's going green.

Have a good dig down and see if you could break through the clay or try to put some drainage in it.

Otherwise I'd have a go at raised beds. I can't see an alternative to bringing organic matter in. Bags of manure, mushroom compost or the stuff they flog cheap at refuse site.

If you order it in the delivery man might bring it round the back for you.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
soil improvement
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 13:25 »
In October I dug in some part composted material into one of my beds.

I also added a small amount of shredded newspaper and more fresh picked stinging nettles than you can shake a stick at.  Apparently worms love carrot peelings so I put plenty of those in there too.

My soil is very sandy and light on this patch of the allotment.   The vegetable matter has been in the ground for a month now and will be in there for another five months before the soil is planted again.   Whilst the treatment was a bit unusual it has to be better than spending a fortune on shop bought compost or doing nothing at all.

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2008/10/can-i-dig-it-yes-you-can.html

As you can see what I had was basically a grey beach!  I've been creating plenty of compost this summer so next year I won't need to be so creative or experimental.  Can I say Avant-garde here? :lol:
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

compostqueen

soil improvement
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 14:48 »
I think you should carry on experimenting and being creative as it's what keeps you motivated

upert

• Experienced Member
soil improvement
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 19:08 »
corynsboy, stick some soil in that raised bed for heaven's sake. tinyurl.com/5zun25

xx
soil improvement

Started by the goodlife on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2013, 15:40
by Trillium
xx
clay soil improvement - Scots pine neeedles?

Started by ralphyboy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 12:11
by TheSpartacat
clip
Allotment Soil Improvement (Fresh Horse Manure)

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 23, 2021, 17:24
by Subversive_plot
xx
Soil pH again.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 00:10
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 38 queries.