Ebay poly tunnel

• 19 Replies

alfman

• Experienced Member
Poly Tunnels
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 10:30 »
Yes I've heard that said about you Des,  :lol:  All the same, a brilliant set up. what did you use for the hoops?

des

Re: Poly Tunnels
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 11:57 »
Quote from: "alfman"
Yes I've heard that said about you Des,  :lol:  All the same, a brilliant set up. what did you use for the hoops?
-

:lol:

The hoops are overflow pipe from B&Q, a little over a couple of quid each I think, these are very robust and bend well. secured with clips off same shelf. canes are attached with insulating tape. The polythene sheet I used is quite flimsy but is standing up to bad weather no problem at all. to avoid tearing I secured the sheet under wooden batons so that it is gripped over its full length and not at points where it would tear if pulled.

Carol

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 13:47 »
I bought one similar, but slightly smaller from a different ebay seller last year.  It is in a fairly sheltered spot.   I "Planted" the legs in ice cream tubs full of ready mix concrete, and buried the skirt.  I then dug a shallow trench down the centre, to use as a path so that I could stand in it without stooping.  The gales last year didn't blow it down, but I fear it's days are numbered as all the door zips have given up and I am now using velcro to close it up.  The cover seems to have shrunk a bit in the sunlight.
That said, I never had to buy lettuce last winter or cucumber or tomatoes this summer, so it has probably paid for itself.  Once the cover gives up I will use the frame to make cloches.

I agree that a permanent greenhouse would be a better solution, but for a newbie like me the tunnel has given me a chance to try out growing "under glass" on the cheap, and I now know what I want out of the next structure I buy!

Good luck whatever you decide,

Carol.
Carol - aiming for organicness.

alfman

• Experienced Member
poly tunnels
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 15:42 »
Thanks for the info Des and Carol, especially about the overflow pipes. (I should've dropped on that one myself) really good ideas everybody. :)

lightyears

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 20:53 »
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=24469

got exacly the same thing hear on my plot, ignore what the others say, if fixed down correctly its rock solid. mine has 2 foot side skirts which are buried under railway sleepers underground. it hasnt budged, on the other hand the gale wind blew out my neighbours supposebly rock solid glass the other night  :lol:

xx
poly tunnel

Started by carolie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 15:56
by mumofstig
xx
poly tunnel

Started by kitch on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 13:36
by BostonInbred
xx
poly tunnel help

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 20:19
by vegmandan
xx
Poly tunnel

Started by carolie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 21:47
by TheSpartacat

Page created in 0.762 seconds with 29 queries.