Ebay poly tunnel

• 19 Replies

penance

Ebay poly tunnel
« on: November 11, 2008, 16:49 »
Has abyone experience of these:

Ebay Link

For £49 +P&P i'm thinking it may be worth a punt.
Want someway of suceeding with toms next year.

The poly looks OK with decent rip stop, a good skirt length to dig in, and i reckon the frame is ok.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 17:15 »
Personally I think it looks very flimsy and I'd be wary of the word "Temporary" in the description.

I'll try & find a link to a posting about a similar on which was better as a kite than a greenhouse!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 17:23 »
I was looking at these as well but I'm not sure how sturdy they would be. I bought a plastic greenhouse at the beginning of the year and it got torn to pieces recently in the gale force winds. The greenhouse was secure to the ground but the actual poles bent and snapped in the wind. I'm thinking a shed might be a better idea and would definitely last longer.

penance

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 17:46 »
Not sure how a shed would be a better idea, bit dark for growing.

DD, thats what i'm worried about really, being flimsy.
I dont think there will be a problem with the plastic cover as it is decent looking ripstop. But the frame may wobble somewhat.
Was thinking of crossed guy lines over it to help stop wind rock..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 17:52 »
I'd like to see it 'in the flesh' to get a better feel of it.

"Temporary" still niggles me!

penance

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 18:15 »
Yep, but unfortunatly they don't have a shop front.

I may try to contact previous buyers to see what they think of them.

Lee1978

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 19:37 »
A neighbouring plot holder bought one of the a few weeks ago and i must admit i thought it would'nt last 5 minutes but it seems pretty strong providing you secure it down well enough :)

garddwr

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 20:04 »
Why don't you look out for cheap greenhouses in your local papers I got this one for £30

muntjac

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 22:32 »
dont bother buying it .we have one and this first gale of winter has blown in the side frame andd wrecked it .i now have the job of cutting and fitting a plywood sandwich frame to give it the strength it needs .oh and its dug 2ft in the ground with railway sleepers placed around it  , the frame has broken at all the joint sections . oh the wind was 35 to 40 mile an hour  :x
still alive /............

vegmandan

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 23:27 »
If you live somewhere where the wind doen't ever exceed about 2 mph then go for it.

It looks incredibly flimsy hence their little hidden description as "temporary and portable".

If it's portable then it'll just disappear in any wind.

You get what you pay for, and I think you'll just get a major disappointment if you buy this. :lol:

penance

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 08:37 »
garddwr, that was the original plan but I dont have time to sort a permanent space for it yet. Hence looking at cheap alternatives in the meanwhile.

muntjac, thanks thats the kind of info i needed. I will be looking elsewhere for ideas now.

agapanthus

Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 09:17 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
dont bother buying it .we have one and this first gale of winter has blown in the side frame andd wrecked it .i now have the job of cutting and fitting a plywood sandwich frame to give it the strength it needs .oh and its dug 2ft in the ground with railway sleepers placed around it  , the frame has broken at all the joint sections . oh the wind was 35 to 40 mile an hour  :x

Very true....but if it's sheltered ( 2/3 of ours was sheltered by a large greenhouse and that bit was ok) then you should'nt have too much of a problem. Definitely needs the shelter though :(

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Ebay poly tunnel
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:19 »
Penance I didn't mean I would buy a shed to grow things in! I've got space for one or the other and I think the shed would be a more useful buy so I've got some storage and shelter in the rain. I'll just have to grow the chillies at home and take a chance with some outdoor tomatoes.

alfman

• Experienced Member
poly tunnels
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 10:25 »
I was looking at this e-bay thing myself, but after all your comments I don't think I'll bother. Just shows how useful this forum is. You guys are great.
 On the same topic, has anyone made a small tunnel out of clear heavy duty polythene? If so, any info or pics. I'm looking at making one myself this winter.

des

Re: poly tunnels
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 08:47 »
Quote from: "alfman"
I was looking at this e-bay thing myself, but after all your comments I don't think I'll bother. Just shows how useful this forum is. You guys are great.
 On the same topic, has anyone made a small tunnel out of clear heavy duty polythene? If so, any info or pics. I'm looking at making one myself this winter.

I have a little one

the sheet is fastened  (sandwiched) to a couple of wooden lats  with holes drilled that hook onto nails on the bed so it is simple to get access.

xx
poly tunnel

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 13:41
by shay
xx
poly tunnel

Started by carolie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 15:56
by mumofstig
xx
poly tunnel

Started by kitch on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 13:36
by BostonInbred
xx
poly tunnel help

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 20:19
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 36 queries.