Cooped up hens

• 19 Replies

Njal

Cooped up hens
« on: November 05, 2008, 15:10 »
Hi,
I built a hen house and run for my hens in the summer which is about 1m x 2m floor area.
But most days I let them out into a larger temporary run on the lawn or in the beg patch.
These last few days have been so wet I haven't let them out much (although they were out yesterday).

I had to throw some blue plastic over their run to stop it getting flooded and them getting wet. So it's pretty dark under the plastic in their run.

But now they are just pacing up and down in there looking like they want to get out  :(

I don't want to coop them up, but technically they have enough space and they would just get soaked if I let them out!

Am I being mean to them?

By the way, I only have two hens so I figured 1x2m was enough.

compostqueen

Cooped up hens
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 15:23 »
they don't mind getting soaked. It wasn't cold out today.  I was working out there and I felt quite warm so I'm sure then hens would be fine.  You could always towel them dry before they turn in  :D

I spent all afternoon shovelling chipped bark into the hens' muddy run.  I bought a huge builders rubble sack full for £40 but I had to pay £10 for delivery. Mind you it was a great lorry with a crane needed to lift the bag so I wasn't surprised at the charge

I've been making them a temporary winter shelter too which should be finished by tea time if I get the last piece of clear plastic on.  My hens like a window on the world as they're nosey so I made the back of the shelter out of clear plastic which was hanging about gathering dust  :D
They don't go in their covered Eglu run very much as they can't see much from there  :roll:

If your girls have somewhere they can get out of the wet and snowy weather when it arrives that would be fine for them, but getting wet doesn't seem to harm them but maybe they don't like being cold and wet so as long as they can get out of it if they wish.

Njal

Cooped up hens
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 15:28 »
Well I may have to rethink a winter/bad weather run for them.

I'm going to get some clear plastic so they have a bit more light (it's only the roof that is covered, the sides are open but the roof comes to about 40cm from the ground making it dark in there.

But until then I just hope they aren't too miserable cooped up!

compostqueen

Cooped up hens
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 23:41 »
I'm finishing mine tomorrow and I'll post a pic.  It's just put together, not fixed in any way so then it can be taken down in Spring. Well, that's the plan  :D

mother hen

• Experienced Member
Cooped up hens
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 03:52 »
I have bought corrugated clear plastic sheets from Wickes and secured them to roof of runs with bungee clips, this should keep runs drier.  

Am hoping this will last alot better than last years plastic sheeting that was ripped to shreds by the wind.  Just a bit worried that in strong winds I might get an umberella effect and the wind might lift the runs, I will probably have to take sheets off again when very windy!  Hey Ho!

clear PVCu Corrugated plastic sheet
£5.45
Size: 1.8m x 660mm
janet

Mrs Sparkle

Cooped up hens
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:35 »
Glad to see thet my hens are not alone in the pacing up and down waiting to get out.
I work in the morning and get home at lunch time to then walking up and down in perfect time next to the door. They cant get through the door fast enough when i open it . :)
1xHusband 3xkids 1xBoarder collie 2xRabbits 2xHens 1xGoldfish

compostqueen

Cooped up hens
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 14:01 »
just made this for them as a temporary winter shelter. They don't like the Eglu run (which I have covered with a green tarp).  They can't see the house or drive, gate etc from there which is why they don't go in it I think. They have food in there so they go in to eat but that's about all
The shelter has clear plastic to make it light and they should be able to look through it and see the comings and goings.  I spoil them I really do.  PLus they have a new layer of chipped bark to keep their feet out of the mud  :D  They have the lawn as well so the best of both worlds  :D

Njal

Cooped up hens
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 14:59 »
Nice.
I particularly like the edging around the Eglu!

I don't think ours would be happy with chipped bark, they seem to want grass i.e. our lawn to destroy!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cooped up hens
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 15:53 »
Love that day shelter CQ  8)

I'd use a few more bricks to weight it down in case of high wind though  :shock:

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Cooped up hens
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 16:40 »
Yeah the garden is very soggy out there.  Even though we've got a camouflage tarp over it, put up by my son, the run floor is very wet.  It's soaking up through the floor!  My girls aren't bothered about getting wet at all.  When I first got them they used to go back in the shed when it rained but now they are out whatever.  Well, if it rains really hard they run under the shelter, very funny watching them run.

Foxy

Cooped up hens
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 18:33 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
I'm finishing mine tomorrow and I'll post a pic.  It's just put together, not fixed in any way so then it can be taken down in Spring. Well, that's the plan  :D

Look forward to seeing a piccy -perhaps we ought to start a sticky on our chicken houses and runs -a picture  paints a thousand words! :D

Foxy

Cooped up hens
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 18:35 »
sorry CQ - how did I miss your photo? :? Fantastic set up! :D

Oliveview

Cooped up hens
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 20:34 »
Our daft hens go outside in the pouring rain, they look they they have been put in a bucket of water and held under!  They don`t worry about the rain at all, I worry about them,  but they seem oblivious to the downpour :?
They seem to be really happy when it is raining, out hunting for insects :D
Pamela

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Cooped up hens
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 22:48 »
Mine have a huge run but still go mad if I don't let them out.  They run out do a quick circuit round the garden then straight into the greenhouse jump up onto the wooden shelving and stay there for most of the day!

compostqueen

Cooped up hens
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 00:42 »
Njal  mine have access to the lawn too  :D  that's where the open gate leads to

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 28 queries.