soup ideas?

• 12 Replies

chickchick

soup ideas?
« on: November 02, 2008, 17:21 »
i am very inspired after that easy pumpkin soup recipe which was yummy and im fussy on flavours, anyone got an easy potato and leek recipe or simular? also can you make swede soup as i have loads growing!
dont like carrot and coraiander or tomato, sorry to be fussy!!
needs to be quick and easy!!
thanks
ps sure mrs b must know some!!

Yabba

soup ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 17:30 »
I'm not much of a one for weights and measures, but this is how I make leek and potato soup :

chop spuds into bits and boil to within an inch of their lives ( til soft all through )

Drain but keep water

Chop green bits off leeks and throw in the water, simmer for a tad

Meanwhile gently fry leeks with a smidge of garlic in butter or olive oil, or whatever rocks your boat

Remove green bits from water and throw in leeks and spuds

Season

Simmer until thick ( stirring brutally with a fork helps ;) )

¥

Trillium

soup ideas?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 17:31 »
For our potato leek soup, we slice up a pile of leek whites and saute them in some butter and oil, with a bit of chopped garlic. Potatoes are boiling in another pot. When potatoes are done, drain and add to broth you have warming (doesn't need to be a lot), when leeks are good and wilted, add them, then put the lot into a blender and puree. Pour into a pot and thin if necessary with some milk or cream, add a bit of bacon fat for flavour and adjust seasonings. Eat with garlic bread. YUMMM.

chickchick

soup ideas?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 17:38 »
they are easy and simple, mmmm thanks sounds tasty

kezlou

soup ideas?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 19:36 »
Leek and potato soup

Peel and cut about two potatoes up cubes (no need to precook)
Wash leeks and slice up to whatever size you like
Crush two cloves of garlic.

Chop leeks and fry them in oil / butter with two cloves of garlic till soft
Add chopped up potato and fry for about 30 secondsish

Add 1 pint of boiling hot water to the pan, season with salt and pepper
cook for about 30mins ish
taste if fine either mash it or serve as is with warm crusty bread.

Veg soup

2 onions (chopped finely)
1 lge Leek (chopped)
2 carrots grated
2 carrots chopped
swede chopped
2 potatoes chopped
handful of red lentils

Fry onions and leeks first in oil / butter then add remaining veg and lentils.
put in 1 pint hot water and boil down season with basil and oregano, salt pepper
boil for about 30mins then serve.

I tend to just throw whatever i have in a pan and see what happens, hope these are okay
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
soup ideas?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 21:03 »
My mum makes great soup.

She throws in whatever veg she might have available - always good to have something from the onion family, and perhaps a potato to thicken it up.

Her rule is for every pound in weight of veg, she bungs in one pint of stock (she tends to use vegetable bouillon).

So, fry your veg for a bit, add the stock, and cook for 20-30 mins until veg is soft.  Blend / puree.

If she's feeling really adventurous she'll put a bit of bacon in too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

chickchick

soup ideas?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 21:04 »
fab thanks too kezlou! is boiling water ok and not veg stock? am totaly new  o all this but im loving it!

Elcie

soup ideas?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 22:45 »
I am extremely new to cooking, but have recently been using Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food book.  He describes a basic soup recipe as:

Fry in 2 x tablespoons of olive oil for approx 10 minutes:

2 x chopped carrots
2 x medium onions
2 x cloves of garlic
2 x sticks of celery

Mix 2 x veg stock cubes wth 1.8L of boiling water and add to mix above.

This is his basic soup recipe, from this you can add any flavours. I have tried:

pea and mint (deicious!)
potato and leek (lovely)
turnip and leak (ok!)

Mix to taste, I like my soup quite thick.

I am really enjoying having the basic recipe and experimenting, the turnip and leeks were what I had grown on the allotment.

Going to try one with butternut squash in the week I think.

Poolfield2

soup ideas?
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 23:16 »
Quote from: "chickchick"
fab thanks too kezlou! is boiling water ok and not veg stock? am totaly new  o all this but im loving it!

If you use water instead of stock you will need to season carefully to get the balance right, but salt and pepper are cheaper than stock :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
soup ideas?
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 23:35 »
I usually use my own chicken or turkey stock and as Yorkie says, use whatever you've got going.  Trying to be more healthy, I dont usually fry the bits first, just chuck everything in with the stock add some seasoning, even a little curry powder or garam masala to give a little bit of spice.  I save my veggie leftovers too and add them to soups.  

And I blend the lot with my hand blender and the soup usually goes nice and thick, depending on what veg I've used.  But definitely need some onions in it whatever!!!!!

Trillium

soup ideas?
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 23:46 »
Grannie, I used to throw in my veg bits straight into the stock but now I saute them a bit first. Really does improve the flavour tremendously. All the great chefs use this method (where I got it) and add a pinch of salt to the saute to help release more flavours. You can even do this with chopped carrots that are going in the soup. I even do this for the coarsely chopped veg I add to a roast chicken or turkey to boost the juice flavour for gravy. Just strain out the veg before making gravy.

Water and seasonins are a lot cheaper :wink:  But broth is where the flavour is. I prefer a chicken broth most of the time, but for things like onion soup I find beef broth is better.

kezlou

soup ideas?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 00:02 »
Quote from: "Poolfield2"
If you use water instead of stock you will need to season carefully to get the balance right, but salt and pepper are cheaper than stock :lol:

I tend not to use veg stock cubes (too salty) as i have to be careful about the ingredients in them inc organic because my youngest is allergic to certain bits added to them. I use sea salt and freshly crushed black pepper as they taste quite a bit stronger than normal table salt / pepper.

Ooops just looked back over my post forgot to say add two bay leaves and fresh coriander. Knew i forgot something.
But yes boiling water on its own is fine chickchick, thats what  i use.

Another thing  i do is add any left over water from cooked vegetables, i  strain my veg straight from the pan  into a colander and put all the water / juices in an empty pan ready for a stew / broth/soup the next day. I think its a lot tastier than stock cubes.

Vember

soup ideas?
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 08:07 »
Easiest soup I've made has to be mushroom :-

load of mushrooms, water& milk (approx 1/2 pint of each) stock cube & a chopped onion
add a couple of slices of white bread roughly ripped in to the water leave for 20 mins simmering.

Wizz it in the wizzer & presto a lovley thick soup - healthy too as mushies & onion virtually calorie less :D

Scrummy

Sarah :D

xx
soup flavouring ideas please

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post November 20, 2012, 18:45
by Madame Cholet
xx
Serious soup...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 16:06
by Growster...
xx
soup

Started by jamima on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 21:06
by kevinp
xx
Soup maker

Started by Steveharford on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2013, 20:07
by Steveharford

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 29 queries.