Can I use desert apples for jam/jelly/chutney?

• 4 Replies

kelvinr2d2

« on: October 31, 2008, 20:01 »
Hi all,
I have lots of desert apples and want to make something with them.  I am not wanting to store them whole.  All the recipes I can find are listing cooking apples.  Any ideas/recipes for me to try.  Why can't I use desert apples?  Too sweet?

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 00:57 »
kelvin you can sprinkle in some lemon juice to apple recipes to make them taste a bit tarter and less sugar, just taste as you go, no problem using desert apples instead of cookers.  Texture of cooked apple may be different but I wouldnt worry if you want to use them up, Im sure they will taste great.  Apple sauce, pies, crumbles, turnovers, yum yum    :)  :chef:  :D
janet

kelvinr2d2

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 20:38 »
Thanks - how do they fare in jams/jellies?

mother hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 22:05 »
I dont think it will be a problem ..............but lemon marmalade sets, so I would add a squeeze of lemon juice to sharpen the flavour but keep sugar same for the set.  With a chutney the vinager element should offset the dessert element of the apple.  Cooking is all about trial and error, I would stick with the basic proportions of a recipe but just tweak the flavours little by little.  It should work.

Oscar Too

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 15:13 »
Chutney - They won't stay together as well - you'll end up with an apple puree as opposed to a chutney.  Put other ingredients in to add texture - squash or something else.

Jelly - they contain less pectin, so you may want to add extra peel and core from the chutney, or use a pectin sugar.  They'll tast fine though - a bit sweeter.

If you have small ones, you can store them in syrup - choose the best apples without any blemishes, cut off the stalks, boil whole (don't core or peel) in a syrup of water, sugar and honey, with some cloves, cinnamon etc, for about 20 minutes, then gently transfer to a clean heated jar with a slotted spoon, top the jar up with syrup, keep til January and eat with your porridge.  Yummy!

xx
Small windfall apples for jelly making

Started by garden elf on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 15:03
by compostqueen
xx
Which apples do they mean

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 20:52
by Beetroot queen
xx
Apples, Apples and yet more Apples.

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 19, 2022, 17:21
by Growster...
xx
Apples

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 09:56
by Elcie

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.