My allotment saves me money - it's official!

• 50 Replies

4x3x2

Re: My allotment saves me money - it's official!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 14:00 »
In my first year I grew 97 bunches of grapes (OK the vine is established and has been going for around 10 years), 84 cucumbers, 1.4kg of rhubarb, 1360 good tomaotes, 4kg approx of green tomatoes and ones with bits cut out of them, 17.25kg runner beans, 8 small melons, 2L of goosgogs, 2 bunches of carrots and 2 very pathetic and shriveled aubergines.  The biggest saving I made in comparison to the rest of you was in not forking out for an allotment!  I did this in 2 borders of a 4x3 m garden, the 2 window sills of a conservatory the same size, a fairly large quantity of upcycled big plastic paint pots scattered around the former 2 areas, 4 window sills in the house and 5 pots by the path in the front garden!
Nothing has been wasted or given away, it' s all either been eaten or is in the freezer.  After reading the entire thread in detail I've concluded that an allotment is everything that the responders who've never bothered about the cost say it is, but as a purely financial proposition it's nowhere near as cost effective as growing somewhere else that doesn't cost £55pa rental!  So for year 2 I'm modifying what I grow and where I grow it and won't be expanding into an allotment!
20200619_124058.jpg
20200716_093941.jpg
20200911_130413.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 14:12 »
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on what you've achieved in such a small space and time!

Some people, of course, do not even have the outdoor or conservatory space that you mention.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

4x3x2

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 14:23 »
Sure, and they're just the people allotments are primarily provided for, hopefully they'll all be pleased I'm not pushing them one more place down the waiting list!
If I'm honest the waiting list is also a large factor in the decision to keep it in-house!

rowlandwells

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2021, 16:48 »
like most we haven't actually made time to sit down and work out just what our allotments saves us but we managed to fill 3 freezers up with veg and home grown fruit plumbs apples raspberries and strawberries so we must be doing something rite  ;)

then there's our garden therapy many happy hours spent down the allotments doing a bit having a rest and a cup of tea or a bacon butty and watching the world go by

as I said I  don't know what we save on growing but I know what we spend

For year 2021
seed around £200
compost      £170
fertilizers    £50
garden sundries £70
Tractor and rotavator fuel £50
this is not counting any repairs or servicing inc: oil fuel filters
we also spend around £400 per year on [flower] plants and plugs
labour cost for working on the allotment greenhouses unlimited  :D

in year 2019 our spend went through the roof when we bought a new rotavator and 2 new Tractor tyre's 

but having said that gardening is our life and we wouldn't change it for the world its only money at the end of the day and its well spent someone asked us if we where growing to be self sufficient i never thought of it that way  :D
you've certainly raised a very interesting topic Stoatus and something i hadn't give it a thought about  till you raised this  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2021, 17:53 »
then there's our garden therapy many happy hours spent down the allotments doing a bit having a rest and a cup of tea or a bacon butty and watching the world go by

That is priceless  :)

Having spent a fair part of the day at mine, working, chatting and generally having a great time, I have to be honest and say I don’t care that it costs money to rent.  We have few facilities, so it is only about what it would take for a couple of months of membership at a decent gym and I enjoy gardening much more than the treadmill or rowing machine.

I’ve watched a couple bring their young kids along for a few hours (they have a plot mud kitchen which looks like a lot of fun), another younger plot holder rotovate a piece of ground for one of the old boys to help him out and be rewarded with PSB and rhubarb and lots of friendships sparking back up after the winter as people emerge to get ready for another growing season.  I am lucky that we are a small and friendly site, but it is one of my favourite places to be  :)

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 20:43 »
I don't worry about what the allotment costs I spend loads of my time working and running my business so whenever I'm doing my allotment stuff its strictly for pleasure only.
If I have surplus of anything eggs or plants etc they are given away for free its nice for me not to add up the pounds shillings and pence. My allotment time is more to me than breaking it down to a balance sheet.

snowdrops

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2021, 20:50 »
I’ve often thought about costing it out, but to be honest, I can’t be bothered because the advantages out weigh any disadvantages there may be, but I haven’t found what they are yet lol. I could grow my fruit & veg in the garden but I also like flowers so that’s set aside for them.
Mind you I’ve blown all coatings out of the water this year by ordering a 14 x 25ft poly tunnel  :lol: :lol:.
You only live once, & after the last year I just thought, you know what I’ve thought about this for long enough, get on with it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2021, 06:24 »
Some products can't be bought from supermarkets so are almost priceless.  I consider supermarket Tomatoes and Plums close to inedible and then there's the stuff that shops don't stock.  I grew heatless Habanero's last year for the first time....wonderful things.

Then there's the growth inhibitors, pesticides, fungicides, phthalates, plastic packaging, monoculture farming, water theft, bad labour practices, habitat destruction...blah blah 

Money is important but so are taste, health and principles!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 06:35 by hasbeans »

al78

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2021, 19:13 »
My allotment saved me a modest amount of money for a few years, but not last year as most of my staple veg just didn't produce well, so I've been buying almost all my veg from the local market for the last year. Hoping to do better this year if we don't have another year with a locked in weather pattern.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2021, 22:01 »
did someone say £55 a year :ohmy:....WOW that sounds expensive!!!!

however, regardless if growing my own saves me money or not...and it normally tastes better.....but...the biggest payback of all has been having an allotment in this last year during lockdown.  having a safe place to go outside of my 4 walls has been a saviour for mine and my hubbys mental health.

we have a large garden at home and a veg patch there too, but just to go somewhere else in a safe manner and spend some time was a godsend.

i feel extremely fortunate to be an allotment holder and even more so during this pandemic.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

snowdrops

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 17:47 »
Our plot rent goes up year on year, I think it was £8 per half plot 15 years ago when I got mine, last year it was £26 per half!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 18:15 »
Our plot rent goes up year on year, I think it was £8 per half plot 15 years ago when I got mine, last year it was £26 per half!
It's about the same here, and that's with the pensioner discount  :ohmy:

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2021, 16:05 »
Never really costed it, but for me it's an enjoyable hobby and most hobbies cost money anyway, and there is a bonus of fresh fruit and veg on demand....well mostly !

snowdrops

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2021, 19:25 »
It's about the same here, and that's with the pensioner discount  :ohmy:

Ooh did not know if we have a pensioner’s discount!

xx
My allotment still saves me money - it's official

Started by Stoatus on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 13:25
by thebarefootgardener
xx
Well I know the official answer but ......

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 09:24
by Rob the rake
xx
It's Official I Hate The Wind!

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 13:48
by Stratts
xx
Its Official, this seaon written off!

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 08, 2023, 22:59
by Learnerlady

Page created in 0.685 seconds with 54 queries.