Chosing my first chickens

• 7 Replies

Eggster

Chosing my first chickens
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:29 »
...so much useful information !!!!

Hi all...

So after 20 years I can now come back to keeping chickens again! I was 15 years old the last time we had chickens and I relied on my folks and grand father for the technical aspects! Now I'm on my own...

I have converted the next door neighbours kids "wendy" house (its 5 foot square) into a chicken coop, built an external nesting box for ease of access to eggs, built a plop shelf under a roost to make it easier to clean, the next door neighbour does know I've done this incidentally :)

The wire comes this week, frankly, cant wait!!!

I have looked at a couple of live stock suppliers locally, looks to be some great guys local to me in Kent.

But in the past I didn't know about hybrids or pure breeds. We had Rhode Island Reds, or at least that's what I thought.

I would like 5 birds for eggs for the family and my neighbours and friends but I do want to rear birds for the table come the spring.

Are there hybrids that work well for both eggs and the table?

Should I have my hybrids for just eggs and buy some pure breeds for the table do you think?

It would be great to get some advice guys.

Bodger

Choosing my first chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 12:21 »
There are hybrids that lay loads of eggs and there are also hybrids that fatten extremely well and very quickly but there isn't one hybrid that does both. The hybrids that are available are either laying or table hybrids.

There are numerous options available when it comes to the particular 'make ' of hybrid. :D

Only thirty five eh ? Your nowt but a kid. :lol:

Eggster

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 12:57 »
ahaa, 35 yesterday, closer to 40 than 30 now. I felt the "Mena-porsche" approaching, so I went all rock and roll and built a chicken coop and doubled the size of my veggie patch :)

So I'll need to expand to more birds, one for table and one for eggs? More birds, that's what I want to hear :)

I'll look for some hybrids in the next week or so to get them (and me) into the swing of things and then get a few chicks in the spring I think.

I would rather buy a 'pure' breed and an incubator in the future, to get the pleasure/pain of hatching my own chicks, the problem I have is that the 'condition of sale' of the free "wendy house" deal from my neighbour was it could only house hens. No boys allowed in the neighbourhood :)  

Maybe we'll have a cockerel on holiday for 2 weeks in the spring ? Do people do that? Or is it a case of cockerel, two weeks, table?

What would be your favourite table bird Bodger?

Thx for your speedy reply

Bodger

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 13:18 »
Not the prettiest by a long way, but I've always done very well with Ross Cobbs. They are a white bird that simply live to eat. Both the males and the female fatten very well and can actualy be ready for the oven as early as eight weeks of age. There are other hybrids about that probably have similar performance.

Eggster

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 13:46 »
I'll have a search for them Bodger, thank you for your advice :)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 17:44 »
come on bodgy, we all know you like the cute fluffy ones really. only today on the phone you said how much you loved wee serama's

im so gonna get slapped for that  :oops:

Bodger

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 18:03 »
You're hallucinating woman !  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: So that was you doing the heavy breathing this afternoon ? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 18:11 »
of course.....  why, who  else you getting pervy calls from  :D

and i know you told me what you think of serama's :roll:

xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
age of chickens

Started by piggottspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 19:01
by goodegg

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 28 queries.