Washing machine water

• 7 Replies

chasp2003

Washing machine water
« on: October 21, 2008, 20:20 »
Can anyone recommend a plant that won't mind being watered by the waste water from my washing machine? Doesn't have to be frost resistant and can be quite large (up to small tree size).

Our house has a septic tank and the water from the washing machine can destroy the balance of bacteria in it, so I want to use it elsewhere if poss.
Helen

noshed

Washing machine water
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 22:29 »
Most things should be OK I would have thought, unless you use a particularly toxic soap. The soil might get a bit slimy, just keep the surface dug over to make sure it soaks in OK.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Washing machine water
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 00:32 »
Think your spot on there Noshed, most plants will stand it, unless you use salt for water softening I'm not sure then.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Trillium

Washing machine water
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 00:55 »
Most laundry soaps contain surfectants which do the 'scrubbing' on textiles, so they may not agree with a lot of plants as well as their higher alkalinity which makes soaps bubble and such. Softened water as such doesn't contain salt unless your system has a serious leak; however, the water used to 'rinse' through the salt will be heavily dosed. We pump the latter through a special drain because no plants can handle it.

If anything, you're best to use the greywater out of sinks which handle less soap and of a milder type.

GreenOwl

Washing machine water
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 14:25 »
What about using a kinder washing powder or one of those Ecoballs so the water will be kinder on the plants and soil?

There was a thread on ecoballs under Frugal living:
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=23012

Trillium

Washing machine water
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 21:38 »
The newer 'green' (ecology friendly) soaps would be okay to use as 'greywater' on the gardens. They won't contain surfectants, TSPs or other harsh cleaners.

greenqueen

Washing machine water
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 20:07 »
I've recently 'found' a gadget that syphons bath water outside into a tank or water butt,  I'm going to buy one  :D

greenqueen

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
Washing machine water
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 20:28 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
The newer 'green' (ecology friendly) soaps would be okay to use as 'greywater' on the gardens. They won't contain surfectants, TSPs or other harsh cleaners.

I've checked my Ecover liquid + powder, and they both contain <5-15% non-ionic surfactants, although they don't specify what those surfactants are. Typically Ecover is marketed as containing plant-based ingredients. They talk about 'critical dilution volume' as in how much water you'd need to neutralise each dose of product, and their Bio products need 5000 times fewer litres of water to neutralise than your bog-standard products.

xx
Using burn water to water vegetables

Started by Marketa on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 14:24
by grinling
xx
water

Started by jenricks on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2021, 17:31
by Subversive_plot
xx
Old water in an IBC...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2022, 23:53
by Subversive_plot
xx
should i water?

Started by hermon on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 18:54
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 29 queries.