Moult?

• 3 Replies

Vickie & Richard

Moult?
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:54 »
One of me girls, who hasn't started laying yet, has short feathers around her comb.  I think she is alittle way off laying, her comb is sometimes red but also pale (can combs change colour quickly with the mood they are in, because hers seems to).  I have seen no evidences off mites.  Could she be having alittle moult?  When i had a cuddle the other day i had a close look at her and underneath there was some feather with blood stems to them.  I haven't had a massive amount off feathers, just a few here and there.  Could this be why she is late laying? because she is having a little moult.  I don't see any pecking going on between my girls.  The other rhode island red x light sussex i have has given me a couple of eggs, but nothing regular.  They are about 26 weeks now.

Foxy

Moult?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:01 »
hi there!

It sounds like a "partial moult" not uncommon in youngsters and just around the neck. What you can see are new blood filled quills. If they are broken or blooming would indicate pecking as the new quills can look very attractive to other birds! But dont worry too much moulting is perfectly natural just make sure they have a balanced diet with plenty of oyster shell for calcium and look forward to your fresh eggies! :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Moult?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:02 »
Hello! Young hens moult into their adult feathers which is usually over by 20 wks, i still have one of my 23 weekers who has a few tufts on her head. as for the combs i have noticed that they can flush them red when there is food around etc its when thy stay red that the laying is gonna be starting. Bokky and Tilly have had very red combs for about a week now and have been squatting for about 2 hopefully i will get eggies soon. hope this help :D
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vickie & Richard

Moult?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 17:16 »
Thanks for all your help, looking at Dora free ranging at the moment, she does look rather scruffy compared to the rest.  Hopefully she will calm down soon.

xx
why do they have to moult

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 20:30
by karlooben
xx
moult?

Started by magicfairy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 22:57
by Lindeggs
xx
The Big Moult

Started by francais on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 01:46
by Lindeggs
xx
After the moult

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 18:13
by barley

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 30 queries.