I'm a lucky sod! - 3 questions about plot H22b

• 16 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

« on: October 12, 2008, 20:13 »
Went to look at lottie this evening - thanks to a mix-up by the council lady the plot i was down for was a full plot which i said I didn't want. The only other plot available was half an existing plot which he hoped I didn't mind! It's got 2 rows of raspberries, a blackcurrant bush an asparagus bed, some parsnips and loads of brassicas in cages. I'm sooo excited :D

Question - am i right to assume as the rasps don't have fruit on now they're "early" ones and should be cut back now?
Also, what on earth do i do with the asparagus - which is very ferny and full of berries?
Last question - assuming Imight not meet the lady whose given up half the plot, what do i do about the existing fruit & veg, cages etc?Thanks

noshed

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 20:20 »
Cut the rasberries which have fruited down to the ground and tie the new growth in (the canes you want to keep will look green, rather than brown.)
I think you need to cut the asparagus down as well but you'll need to look that up.
Check with your site sec about the other person's stuff. On our site, when people give up a plot they have couple of weeks to shift stuff and then it's the new person's.
Hope this helps.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 20:48 »
thanks noshed - talking of shed's - he apologised for the lack of a loo (bless) as the lady at the council who he called a most unladylike name which i shan't print here :oops:  insists the lottie can only have a "green" loo which they can't afford. So it's a communal shed with a hook & latch and take your own bucket :lol:  will have to develop better control..... :oops:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 20:53 »
You're lucky - we don't even have a bucket!

Regarding the asparagus, once it's gone brown, cut it down to within 1" -2" of the ground.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

crowndale

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 08:11 »
I'm lucky, I have my own shed AND my own bucket!!  I inherited a lot of stuff on my plot, last chap was given a few weeks to clear it, didn't so i was told it was mine to keep or bin.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 08:16 »
Quote from: "DD."
You're lucky - we don't even have a bucket!

same here, but luckily we live close enough to the allotments for it not to be a problem!

naturesparadise

Re: I'm a lucky sod! - 3 questions about plot H22b
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:48 »
Quote from: "Janeymiddlewife"
Went to look at lottie this evening - thanks to a mix-up by the council lady the plot i was down for was a full plot which i said I didn't want. The only other plot available was half an existing plot which he hoped I didn't mind! It's got 2 rows of raspberries, a blackcurrant bush an asparagus bed, some parsnips and loads of brassicas in cages. I'm sooo excited :D

Question - am i right to assume as the rasps don't have fruit on now they're "early" ones and should be cut back now?
Also, what on earth do i do with the asparagus - which is very ferny and full of berries?
Last question - assuming Imight not meet the lady whose given up half the plot, what do i do about the existing fruit & veg, cages etc?Thanks

should have had the fall plot as i guarantee you will want more room  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 20:47 »
Quote from: "naturesparadise"

should have had the fall plot as i guarantee you will want more room  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I checked with the committee guy - he reckons my half plot should be 30yds by 15 =- seems HUGE to me, but then I'm used to a small suburban garden :lol:  I might develop agoraphobia........
Other problem is, now I've pruned there's nowhere to hide when nature calls...... :oops:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 21:00 »
A community park officer told me about this. Shes going to buy one  :shock:  :lol:
shewee
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 21:28 »
Quote from: "peapod"
A community park officer told me about this. Shes going to buy one  :shock:  :lol:
shewee

You should be able to keep the Compost going next year with that! :wink:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Mrs Soup

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 21:56 »
I checked with the committee guy - he reckons my half plot should be 30yds by 15 =- seems HUGE to me, :

that is huge.....a 'standard' 10 perch plot is 11 by 22 yards (242sq yards). if the area you've been given is really that big it's 450sq yards - about 18 perch.

Did you mean 15 feet? That would be 6 perch which could be a half plot. Either way it's probably enough to get you started.

As said earlier - if the asparagus has gone brown cut it down to ground level and get a couple of inches of mulch over it to protect from frost. Should give you fresh spears for many years to come.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 22:55 »
Quote from: "Mrs Soup"
I checked with the committee guy - he reckons my half plot should be 30yds by 15 =- seems HUGE to me, :

that is huge.....a 'standard' 10 perch plot is 11 by 22 yards (242sq yards). if the area you've been given is really that big it's 450sq yards - about 18 perch.

Did you mean 15 feet? That would be 6 perch which could be a half plot. Either way it's probably enough to get you started.

As said earlier - if the asparagus has gone brown cut it down to ground level and get a couple of inches of mulch over it to protect from frost. Should give you fresh spears for many years to come.

thanks Mrs Soup - the council web site says a full size plot is 10 Poles, but I've asked for a half plot - ie 5 Poles - now I can't find anywherethat agrees on exactly how long a Pole is  :roll:  roughly 15 - 16 feet or 3 yards seems to be the consensus - so if that is right (and my maths!) my plot should be 75 foot long - which, using the ever so technical method of 3x my 25foot lounge (!) means it IS huge - shouldn't complain , but I'm just terrified of getting it wrong and digging up something i shouldn't!
I also use the popular method of estimating 6' by visualising"bodies" on the ground!
Think I'll get my row rep to check when i can get hold of them

Gwiz

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 05:40 »
Quote from: "peapod"
shewee

Ye gods!
what ever next, will Sooty start to smoke? :?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 06:03 »
Quote from: "Gwiz"

what ever next, will Sooty start to smoke? :?

Would be appropriate given his name.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 12:04 »
That sheweeeeeeeeeeee thing looks handy!! Is it available in the UK ??

Jazzy
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

xx
Plot Questions

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 15:29
by TerryB
xx
Pictures from the Plot with Questions

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 00:53
by WirralWally
clip
Potential plot questions

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 16:50
by Yorkie
xx
Ragwort on the new plot, a couple of questions

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 07:58
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 28 queries.