Failed cuttings

• 23 Replies

DIGGER

Failed cuttings
« on: October 06, 2008, 17:45 »
For three years now i have been trying to take geranium cuttings,and every time the leaves go yellow and eventually just die.

This year I have tried again ,I have read books and watch Carol Klein on a Friday night with sharp knife cutting below a leaf node remove the lower leaves a pot up around the edge of a pot.

To be certain some i have dipped in rooting compound and some i have just put in without.

In the greenhouse they go,and again the leaves are turning yellow.

The anoying thing is last year I just left a few geraniums in the pots and did nothing and they went on and produced flowers.

I am a patient man but Dam and Blast :evil:  :cry: What am I doing wrong

mrs bouquet

Failed cuttings
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 18:08 »
I've always found that geranium cuttings fail if you take them at this time of year, because they aren't hardy.  Wasn't CK doing penstenoms. Take them out dry them off. and wrap in newspaper and store somewhere dry, repot next spring, and they will very quickly start, then take the cuttings
or take them from the ones you have left potted up.
I think the problem is I maybe overwater them, and they get cold (my g/house is not heated) and drown.  Anyway last winter I only gave the potted ones a sparing drink about 3-4 times and they did much better.  I only took about 100 years of trying  !!!  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

DIGGER

Failed cuttings
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 18:43 »
100 years Mrs B, I know i said that i was patient.
All the books and internet reads say they are easy to propergate. I did water them in,maybe that was the problem. I will try a couple of plants as you recomend and see how it goes.. Thanks

mrs bouquet

Failed cuttings
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 18:55 »
pleaselet me know the outcome, I shall be interested to hear if the rooting compound makes any difference.  Mrs Bouquet

DIGGER

Failed cuttings
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 19:03 »
Quote from: "mrs bouquet"
pleaselet me know the outcome, I shall be interested to hear if the rooting compound makes any difference.  Mrs Bouquet

I can tell you now that there is no difference between compound and non they are both a dirth shade of yellow. On a positive note i have just ventured out in the dark to bring containers and will wrap in newspaper tomorrow. Should have done this last week as son has just packed his paper round in,no papers about.

mrs bouquet

Failed cuttings
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 19:21 »
Oh well done you, thats what I call dedication.  Mrs Bouquet.
PS: I'm glad you asked who steve tyler is, I didn't know either, still don't !! :lol:  :lol: Mrs Bouquet

topgardener

geraniums
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 18:21 »
I have been growing geraniums for about 40yrs and i always took the cuttings in august . When i had trimmed them ready for rooting i always left them on the potting bench for 24hrs so that the cut could callous over.
Then i used hormone rooting powder.
If you do this you wont loose many
Cheers
bigtone

DIGGER

Failed cuttings
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 19:15 »
Cheers Mr top G, I will give that a try as well as Mrs Bs tip.
See if I can prevent my hard won cash going to Wyvale next spring.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Failed cuttings
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 20:25 »
Quote from: "DIGGER"
100 years Mrs B, I know i said that i was patient.
All the books and internet reads say they are easy to propergate. I did water them in,maybe that was the problem. I will try a couple of plants as you recomend and see how it goes.. Thanks

Definately dont water them in, the cuttings we do every year at the horticulture learning centre I volunteer at were all lost - the students 'helped us for a surprise' this year..we needed a 1000 cuttings to survive, we ended up with about about 30! How busy are we next week?

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DIGGER

Failed cuttings
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 21:22 »
Just put them in dry compost and leave them :?:

DIGGER

Re: geraniums
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 11:51 »
Quote from: "topgardener"
I have been growing geraniums for about 40yrs and i always took the cuttings in august . When i had trimmed them ready for rooting i always left them on the potting bench for 24hrs so that the cut could callous over.
Then i used hormone rooting powder.
If you do this you wont loose many
Cheers

Just as a follow up and to assist a similar thread.
I have followed this advise and covered with a polythene bag and so far look good.

I have also wrapped some in news paper as an experiment as also suggested.  I did use the local paper perhaps i should have used page 3 of the sun for bigger bustier results.

goose

• Experienced Member
Failed cuttings
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 11:25 »
are you suggesting wrapping the whole geraniums in newspaper for the winter or is this the cuttings taken?

mrs bouquet

Failed cuttings
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:25 »
Quote from: "goose"
are you suggesting wrapping the whole geraniums in newspaper for the winter or is this the cuttings taken?

The whole plant.  Mrs Bouquet

goose

• Experienced Member
Failed cuttings
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 09:03 »
FAB!! thanks for that, it will free up some much needed space in my tiny greenhouse if i can put my geraniums to bed in the shed instead. i may prune them back a bit first though, is that ok?

mrs bouquet

Failed cuttings
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 11:20 »
Hi Goose, don't do too much, just take the leaves off and anything that might not look too healthy, because you will want to work on them when you replant again.  Just make sure they aren't wet when you wrap them.
I am like you I haven't got enough space, Good luck.  Mrs Bouquet

xx
Failed perennials..

Started by Bernard on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 18:08
by barney rubble
xx
failed busy lizzies

Started by belto on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 20:15
by richyrich7
xx
Climbing rose - buds failed and yellow leaves

Started by stickywicket on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 08:18
by stickywicket
xx
cuttings outside

Started by viettaclark on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 17:01
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 31 queries.