Help sick chicken!!

• 22 Replies

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Help sick chicken!!
« on: September 24, 2008, 18:29 »
Can anybody help?

I have a 20 week Cochin hen that has been doing fine uo until now. I have found her today lethargic and very easy to catch!!

She has a good covering of feathers with no signs of mites or lice. Clean vent, eyes and mouth. Empty/ not impacted crop. No signs of wounds. Poo looks ok too.

She is VERY light and has no meat on her at all. She is drinking but shows no real interest in food. What should i give her to get her over this, both from a food and drink point of view. I wonder if she is malnourished. She lives with the other laying hens and so probably has mainly layers pellets.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

Kate and her Ducks

Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 18:35 »
Has she been wormed recently?
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 19:21 »
Well the older chooks in the flock were wormed 4/5 months ago. Her batch of chooks have not been wormed yet

poultrygeist

Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 19:28 »
Only other things that spring to mind, have you checked her for high temperature under her wing joint, compared to the other hens ?

...and is her comb (if present) a good colour ??

...and is her tail up or down ?

Otherwise, can't think of anything.

Rob 8)

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 19:44 »
No comb to speak of. Does not seem particularly warm. Tail, such as it is with cochins is down.

What foods can i give that with give energy to build her up a bit. Should i put sugar in her water?

poultrygeist

Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 19:48 »
It's ok to give some non-chicken cat food when they're moulting to give extra protein and a bit mixed corn will add fat and some protein but I don't know if that's the best thing in this case. It may be that she's being bullied away from the food so maybe you could give her some pellets in isolation. That way she's getting the right balance and can eat as much as she needs.

Rob 8)

Jellyhead

Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 20:14 »
I would worm her, isolate her, and as Rob says give her a little cat food, little bits of cheese, a little pasta, corn and perhaps the odd worm or two. You could also give her a little natural yoghurt, mine love bread soaked in it :roll:
Oh, not all this on the same day by the way :oops:  good luck
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 21:10 »
There is definitly an underlying reason why she is lightweight.  

I couldn't say what that is as she has no other symptoms.  If she doesn't improve after worming I'd see a vet, but it's your choice of cause.

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 13:15 »
She seems a bit brighter today but alot more unsteady on her feet. She seems to fall over when trying to move quickly. Otherwise no abnormal movements.

By the way, her poo looks the normal black and white but with alot of water as well - does this mean anything.

I really am worried about her because of all the chooks i have she is my favourite.   :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 15:06 »
Falling over is a symptom of Marek's I'm afraid  :(

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 16:20 »
Mareks!!!

Is that another name for plague???!!!

poultrygeist

Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 17:04 »
Is there a possibility that she's unsteady due to malnourishment ??

Clutching at straws on bedifferent's behalf. :?

Rob 8)

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 18:53 »
She was kept in an area with 12 other hens (plenty of room) but still very low down the pecking order. I suspect that she and her friend a (a hen the same size) have not been able to meet their dietry requirements because of this. I have seperated the two of them in their own house. They will be wormed and fed a high protein diet and also allowed to roam around the garden when feeling better.

With regard to high protein diet. I have been told that layers has higher protein content than growers - is this true? Also, what additions can i make to their diet? I am not worried about egg production as yet as they will not lay until well into next year - i need to get them through the winter first!

Thanks

poultrygeist

Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 19:03 »
Can only think of tryign the cat food, but bear in mind it could be mareks.

I've no idea what the prognosis is but I think fast deterioration is likely if that's the case.

I can't offer advice beyond that due ot lack of any experience of it.

I only offered malnutrition as a ray of hope.

Rob 8)

Foxy

Help sick chicken!!
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 23:15 »
Hi bedifferent -how long have you had her? cochins are very slow growing and not uncommon for a 20 week old hen to feel a bit on the thin side, however, with other regular laying breeds she would def be right at the bottom of the pecking order as cochins are have a tendency to be bullied. So could be a gradually thing and she could also be a little stressed therefore no really feeling much like eating. As has been suggested a little tlc and perhaps put her in sight of the others but in her own little run during the day to observe. Some crushed garlic and apple cider vinegar will help her give her immune system a boost too. Cross fingers it isn't mareks! :?

sad
Sick chicken (help)

Started by Dave B on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 18:16
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Sick chicken

Started by Huskies on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 21:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
Help! Sick Chicken

Started by SJC on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 11:57
by kegs
xx
Sick Chicken Help please

Started by Alec on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 22:36
by jill247

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 30 queries.