Garlic update

• 4 Replies

mrs bouquet

Garlic update
« on: September 24, 2008, 12:21 »
some of you were kind enough to reply to my garlic thread and this was the result.
I scraped around just under the ground and found nothing, so I lifted it and it resembled a long fat spring onion/small leek.  I was disappointed until just now when I cut some off to use in cooking and is so strong, I couldn't believe it.
Was this because I didn't plant until June time, that it didn't have time to develop. :?:
I am going to buy some this week to plant now, is it alright to plant them in the same place :?: Thank everybody,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Garlic update
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 14:14 »
Yes garlic really needs a period of cold weather to split into cloves. If you plant in the autumn it gets this through the winter and come harvest time you should get a better crop. You can save the larger single bulbs to plant this year and in theory you should get a crop of bigger bulbs/cloves next year.

Michael D

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 19:45 »
Hi   If you can get a catalogue from The Organic Gardening they sell everything you can think off and the price is good, try and get Thermidrome seed garlic, this is planted now and will grow over winter and when the leaves yellow next year they are ready. I ordered a 450g bag for only £8.55,  www.organiccaatalogue.com have a look at this.
    Michael D

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Garlic update
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 15:21 »
some Thermidrome on ebay quite cheap i got some along with a few others on here and it looks good, going to put mine in early October.  Just ordered some onion sets as well as the seed i put in a month ago has not come up, reckon it rotted in that very heavy rain spell we had.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

gobs

Garlic update
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 18:23 »
I'd be tempted not to plant in the same place, but as they have only been there for a few months, probably won't make any difference, unless they were odiseased.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sad
Garlic Gone West - Update 2

Started by ember on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 22:59
by ember
xx
Garlic treatment for white rot - update

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 08:39
by bazial
xx
Garlic compound spray update

Started by adal on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 13:57
by adal
xx
Garlic Rust and copper wire update?

Started by b.barker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2019, 22:50
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 28 queries.