What next??? -pictures added

• 14 Replies

Gemma

« on: September 15, 2008, 13:51 »
Hello All,

Well my other half has finished building me a small section of raised bed in one corner of our garden.  Not a huge area but enough for a start.  I have cleared all the weeds from the bottom and now filled it with soil that we got delivered (top soil),  I have ordered the book many of you recommend but while waiting (any while the weather is dry) I was wondering if there is anything else i can/ should be doing.

I am not sure if i need to put anything in the soil to improve it,  or if there is anything i can maybe make a start on growing.  (have 4 garden centres near by that i can pop to)

Any help would be great while I'm waiting on my new book that i'm hoping with guide me through all the what now questions I am sure i will have.

Edited to add, we are in south east,  not sure if that makes any difference as to planting etc.

Will try and add a picture of the beds if i can figure out how it works

Thanks Very Much Gemma

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 14:56 »
One thing springs to mind.

Do you know whether the new soil is acid / alkaline / neutral?  If not, it might be worth getting a soil testing kit to check this out - some plants will only grow happily in certain conditions.

Other than that, start considering what you will want to grow in the space over the next year.  If it's a limited space, you'll need to bear in mind how long crops may be in the ground.  John's book will help with that when it arrives.

And order your seed catalogues in a month or so!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

blue_cortina

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 16:27 »
Fellow Essex person:

I'd recommend tring to grow things that are not readily available in shops . Choose things that you love to eat. Choose a balance between crops that are sure fire and a bit experimental.

If you've put lots of nice new clean soil down and it's all loose - cover it with twigs or the cats in the whole neighbourhood will find out about the nice new toilet. If you've no cats in the area then keep an eye on it and if weeds start to grow hoik them out or hoe them in.

If your area is large enough bear in mind crop rotation for the future but don't let it worry you.

Other then that read as much as you can talk to other and read this forum (which btw weleome to :-) )

Gemma

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 17:05 »
Thank you both for your replies.

I will pick up a soil testing kit tomorrow at the shops as I have no idea what the new soil is like.  Looks nice but guess thats not helpful  :lol:

I have put some lights (solar things) around the soil to try and keep the cats away,  will take a wonder through the woods tomorrow and send the kids twig collecting and pop some over the soil to try and keep them out,  Did wonder how to try and stop them using the soil as a litter box,  Its bad enough now but once i have got things growing in it,  i really wont want cats mess to deal with as well.

I think I have figured out how to add pictures so if it works this is the area I have to work with  Its split into 3 areas, one to the left, one to the right and a deeper area in the back corner (the plan being it might be better for carrots, parsnips etc)

Thanks
Gemma

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 18:18 »
I find it's more foolproof to spread netting over the bed to keep the cats off. I tried the sticks/twigs, but the cat still managed to squeeze in between them, and then dug them up!
Rachael

Gemma

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 18:29 »
Ohh I have some netting in the garage (dont know where it came from may of been off a football net or something)

Will pop that over the top for now,  see how we get on.
Thanks for the tip  :)

Bombers

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 19:55 »
Quote from: "Gemma"
Ohh I have some netting in the garage (dont know where it came from may of been off a football net or something)

Will pop that over the top for now,  see how we get on.
Thanks for the tip  :)

be careful with netting, If it's not taught, Birds can get trapped in it!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Gemma

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 20:11 »
Ohh, We have alot of birds around,  Neighbours birdwatch so we get lots over in our garden as well, They have nest boxes etc up so tend to have a fair few around.  Perhaps ill give the neting a miss,  wouldnt want to find a bird caught in it.   The holes in it are proberly around the right size to catch one in.
Ill pop some twigs over the top and find a new way to keep the cats away.  

Thanks again

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 21:29 »
Quote from: "Gemma"

Ill pop some twigs over the top and find a new way to keep the cats away.  

How are you with a water pistol?  :wink:

beetrootboy

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 20:04 »
where did you get the timber from id love some rail way sleepers but they a realy hard to find and cost to much?
beans
free heating in winter

Gemma

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 20:51 »
we found the sleepers on ebay,   from a farm about 10miles away.  Picked up a load and still have a few left not sure what to do with them,  although have cleared another corner of garden that am thinking of have a 2nd salad and herb patch in lol

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 21:07 »
I agree about the water pistol, but try this  !!  Really cheap curry powder.  Sprinkle it around the cats really hate it, and won't bother you any more.
I am really impressed with your beds and design.  Good luck.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

woodburner

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 16:47 »
On my first attempt at running a lottie I tried to grow stuff I couldn't get in the shops but this time around I have started with the things we eat the most of, and it's really nice not to have to go to the shops for the basics. With such a small area though I think you would be best to grow the stuff that is best really fresh, like saladings, sweetcorn and beans.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Gemma

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 10:43 »
Well my books have all come Johns book as well as Vegetables in a small garden and the vegetable and herb expert.

Have made a list of things i would like to grow and then cut it down by 1/2 lol otherwise id have to dig over the whole garden.   Was thinking of doing runner beans using the frame at the top of the page (was it muntys?)  and was wondering if i can put lettace, spinich, spring oninons etc underneath it?

Also can i grow peas up the same frame work?

Am out in the garden tomorrow digging out some of the soil we added and then testing to see what the soils like.  The was thinking of planting some green manure just to get the soil going ready for next year.  Is this worth doing or am i better just going and buying some compost or something from the garden centre?

Sorry lots of questions but thank you in advance
Gemma

Lemon

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 17:51 »
Sorry that I'm not answering your Q's  :D   But I just got to say your raised beds look great & they'll look better next year when full of growing plants!

You NEED to cover the bare earth as cats will think you've built them a giant litter tray!  We had that problem but hubby built panels from wood that are knee high and have black pea netting stapled to them.  They hook on to corner posts and can have netting thrown over them too.  (& fleece I guess?)  Because of the height they allow plants to grow (although too short for peas/beans and sweetcorn).  They also served as a useful temporary pen for our chickens whilst we built their enclosed run.  (Although I think the onions complained!!!)
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

xx
Chickweed ?? Pictures added

Started by Big Jen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 10:00
by woodburner
xx
Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! .... Got an allotment today (New pictures added)

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 06:55
by cadalot
xx
Dragon fruit - pic added

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 21:53
by asd1
xx
Radishes ready? (Pic added)

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 23:33
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 27 queries.