Egg yolks

• 4 Replies

Brambles

Egg yolks
« on: September 10, 2008, 15:38 »
My new girl, a Black Rhode, has been laying now for a few weeks. Her eggs are still quite small, I guess that is because she is so young. The yolks are very, very pale, almost white.  All my other hens have had bright yellow yolks. Can anyone please tell me if this is normal and if the colour might change. She is a great character and very bright.

poultrygeist

Egg yolks
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 16:48 »
Hi Brambles.

I know yolk colour can be affected by many things. It can be genetic and can be down to feed.

If you feed her lots of greens, preferably letting her free-range on grass, it may yellow up the yolk.

Are your other hens a deeper yellow and do they have the same feed regime ?

Rob 8)

Brambles

Egg yolks
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 22:13 »
Thank you for that Rob.  Yes she does have grass (while not free range exactly due to many foxes around, she does have a huge pen that is moved at least once a fortnight.)  My other hens are fed exactly the same, mainly layers pellets and corn, and their eggs have very dark yolks.   The only difference is that the other hens are quite a bit older... though they have always laid eggs with dark yolks.

poultrygeist

Egg yolks
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 22:42 »
It may just be genetic then. I think most pellets have colour enhancers of some sort in, and the grass should provide any natural enhancement that's available.

I know very little about these things but I can't think of anything else that would assist.

Maybe someone will know of a 'magic' foodstuff you can give her to help but it sounds like she has all she needs in the absence of any problems.

Rob 8)

Brambles

Egg yolks
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 14:28 »
Ok that is fine then.  I'll go with that, as long as it is not anything wrong with my girl.  Thank you again Rob

xx
3 yolks in my egg

Started by gladis on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 21:54
by evie2
xx
White yolks

Started by HattonHill on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 19:49
by azubah
xx
white yolks.

Started by Freeranger on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 04, 2013, 22:06
by grinling
xx
white egg yolks

Started by sonny on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 17:35
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 30 queries.