moving a rose

• 12 Replies

crackedflowerpots

moving a rose
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:56 »
i have a climbing rose that i bought from the 99p shop :D . I didnt think it would come to much so i just put it in a fair sized pot on my balcony. It has had 1 bloom this year, a massive beautiful  pink fragrant rose, but i want to move it to my allotment garden to grow around my arch, for next year. when is the best time to do this? I dont want to kill it by moving it at the wrong time so any advice would be very welcome.
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

wengren

moving a rose
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:42 »
spring time would be the best time.prune it if needed before planting.give it a feed when planted. if rose is big enough now you can take some cutting from it as its the best time of year for rose cuttings.
wendy grenville

crackedflowerpots

moving a rose
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 15:30 »
thanks , i was going to move it soon so im glad i asked first and thanks for quick reply ( if it hadnt have been for the rain i might have moved it today :oops: )

Trillium

moving a rose
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 21:31 »
Potted roses can be planted at any time. It's when you have to dig them out that it gets tricky.

Spring is definitely the best time to prune. There's no chance of frost or excessive cold getting into fresh cuts and flowing sap. It's also the best time to feed the plant so it can put out all that new growth.

crackedflowerpots

moving a rose
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:34 »
oooooooh so when the rain stops i can move it :D but i wont prune or feed till the spring 8)  ... sounds straightforward, thanks

muntjac

moving a rose
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:11 »
Quote from: "wengren"
spring time would be the best time.prune it if needed before planting.give it a feed when planted. if rose is big enough now you can take some cutting from it as its the best time of year for rose cuttings.

sorry i have to disagree here gloria  :wink: . prune back to about 1/3rd now and then plant in the new spot .heel it in well water once a week in dry weather .if you prune now the plant will make more effort to re-root itself as in spring it will just try to survive and make more leaf as apposed to root   ..put a bucket of good manure around the base of the plant as well to let it leach down during winter
still alive /............

crackedflowerpots

moving a rose
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:00 »
ok so i can prune and replant now :D I'm going to do it at the weekend. come rain  :roll: or shine :D
gardening is like having a new baby, you ask for advice with a problem, get lots of differing advice, and end up taking the advice that you wanted to hear ( I wanted to move it now,I just needed someone to say im doing the right thing! :wink: )

Trillium

moving a rose
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 22:53 »
Still disagree with you Munty; pruning encourages plant sap to flow and with cold weather coming on, it's a bigger setback for the plant. I move any of my roses in spring, prune hard and feed and I haven't lost one yet.

Cracked's rose is a potted rose so it's simply a matter of putting it into the ground, which can be done at any time. It doesn't need pruning at all for now since there could be some dieback over winter, and if she prunes a bit too much, she'll have to cut still more off in spring. Best to do so in spring when its clear how much can be cut back. Sorry mate  :wink:

crackedflowerpots

moving a rose
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 06:39 »
argggggggggggggghhhhh im confused!!!!!   :?  to prune or not to prune that is the question :roll:

muntjac

moving a rose
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 23:33 »
ahhhhhhh but ya'll in canada , the rose is in england , different conditions pover there .. sorry mate  :lol:

crackedflowerpots

moving a rose
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 20:06 »
the deed is done :twisted:  i have replanted the pruned rose with a manured base and firm heeled it in :lol:  whatever happens we had a great 8 hours today over the allotment, with the sun shining we strimmed, weeded, harvested and i planted my prized rose .........  so ........ :shock:  muntjac i hope you were right!!!!!

Johndeb

• Ashridge Nurseries
Moving your Rose
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 01:11 »
If you have not pruned it yet, then Don't until November.  Then cut it back gently.  In late Feb, early March you cut it back again, harder.
Good luck
John

crackedflowerpots

Re: Moving your Rose
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 18:50 »
Quote from: "Johndeb"
If you have not pruned it yet, then Don't until November.  Then cut it back gently.  In late Feb, early March you cut it back again, harder.

:shock:   :oops:    :roll:

xx
Moving climbing rose

Started by Zippy on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 00:00
by white westie
xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
Which rose would you not be without?

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

39 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 08:56
by jaydig
xx
Which Rose??

Started by sarah-king on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 20:43
by sarah-king

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 30 queries.