Is this compost suitable?

• 5 Replies

Triplexbee

« on: August 30, 2008, 10:31 »
Hi, I am a new to growing and have just turned a lawn into a plot in readiness for spring planting.

I have a mushroom farm close to home who sell off their used compost.

This is its make up.

The typical nutritional composition of the bi-product is / per Tonne:

Nitrogen
      8.5kg
Phosphate
        7.2kg
Potash
        12.4kg
Sulphur
        4.8kg
Magnesium
        2kg
DM
        34kg
PH

Is this stuff ideal, ok or one to be avoided?

Thanks.
Help me avoid the pitfalls.

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:35 »
I'd have it like a shot as you need all the organic material you can get your hands on for soil improving for growing veg. You can use it as a mulch too.  You should get some mushrooms from it too

Triplexbee

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 11:04 »
thanks compostqueen, they only sell this in 7.5t and 10t loads, not too sure what they are asking for it but it looks like my back is going to take a beating for the next few days.

Do you think the 34kg of DM in the make up stands for Dead Mushrooms?

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 12:48 »
I've no idea but you can go into a mushroom growers site which gives the chemical breakdown of the stuff

Having said you can use it as a mulch, there is the school of thought which says it can go crusty and compacted so if you have the energy you could fork it in so it gets mixed up with your soil

Don't do too much at once as you'll be no use at all if you hurt your back.  You know it makes sense  :D

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 18:20 »
Spent mushroom compost is an absolutely fantastic soil improver - go for it 8)   I dug a load in my plot a couple of years ago over winter.  I wasn't too impressed as you needed a lot more than you would think and seemed to be very strawy.  However, I was really pleased by spring/summer - it made the heavy clay a lot more workable and all the veggies did well.  

I've since taken on another plot and seriously considering to get some more to dig in this autumn/winter.

One word of caution, although to be fair I was equally ignorant at the time.  Because of the higher pH/incorporation of lime, don't spread it on the beds for the potatoes as they will turn out scabby but it'll be perfect for your brassicas :D
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 08:12 »
if its the farm at yaxley its £50. i phoned them a couple of weeks ago for the price of the 7.5t load and the guy said its a 12t trailer and its £50 a load, and you need a gate opening of at least 10 feet for them to get in.

i measured our allotment gates which is approx. 11 foot but haven't ordered any yet as i am abit worried about the time and effort its going to take to move 12t of mushroom compost onto our plot as it would have to be delivered into the carpark and then moved.

xx
rough compost- suitable for sowing?

Started by meridiangarden on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 15:09
by meridiangarden
xx
Carrots in a container - which compost is most suitable?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 17:37
by Totty
xx
Suitable veg

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 20:25
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
is this suitable for beans?

Started by lochnesslass on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 06, 2012, 21:25
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 28 queries.