Blue Legs????

• 9 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Blue Legs????
« on: August 21, 2008, 23:01 »
Today I found one of the Amberlink chicks lying on its side just inside the house.  thought she was dead, but obviously very weak, as she couldn't have been able to reach the food and water.

I brought her indoors and fed her on a drop of water in which I'd dissolved a little bit of salt and sugar and stirred in some plain greek yoghurt, which is all I had.  Fed her with a dropper several times, and tonight she was standing up eating like there's no tomorrow.

In the meantime, Brian brought one in, and she is quite small compared to the others, but she is covered in what looks like sores, but Brian said its where she's been pecked, and it looks like it may have got infected.  But what drew her to Brian's attention is that she is so tiny and her legs are blue!  Looks like she's cold.  Then we went into the big run and we've noticed about 6 others, all have these blue legs, but they are running around and eating and drinking okay.  The legs feel cold to the touch, but then none of their legs feel very warm, and Amberlinks usually have very pale pinky legs

does anyone hve any idea of what's the matter?  I'm looking on the internet too, but can't see anything related.  Thanks in advance.

Kate and her Ducks

Blue Legs????
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 02:20 »
Do they have any breathing problems as this can lead to blue
discolouration (cyanosis). Had a look on the internet too and Newcastle disease came up on the google search a couple of times but doesn't really seem to fit. Sorry, not much use am I. :oops:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

GrannieAnnie

Blue Legs????
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 08:49 »
Thanks Kate, don't think they have any breathing problems, its really weird, they are running around, eating and drinking, just these blue legs, as if they have a circulation problem.

I'll investigate Newcastle's later, but must go and clean them out now!

Porffor

Blue Legs????
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:52 »
I've got no idea sorry, but just wanted to wish them both well ((hugs)) to them both.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Blue Legs????
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:17 »
Is it anything like this?

www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Bresse/BRKBresse.html

If so it may be just a genetic variation rather than a disease.

Bodger

Blue Legs????
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 09:18 »
Poor circulation would certainly manifest itself in blue faces first and in all my years, I've never known legs change in chickens due to illness.

Its more likely that your one chick is ill but that she and the other six have different coloured legs simply due to a genetic throw back to her ancestory.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Blue Legs????
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 09:36 »
I agree with Bodger.  Leg colour is due to pigment which is genetically determined.  I think there's a rogue cockerel in there some way back Grannie  :wink:

compostqueen

Blue Legs????
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:23 »
Blimey, blue legged chickens. You could charge a fortune for them GA  :D

I'm a blue legged chicken
I'm a knock-kneed hen

can't remember the rest  :D

raeburg

Blue Legs????
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 17:59 »
One of my mum's buff sussex has blue legs, whilst the other doesn't! Nothing wrong with her, just blue legs :)

GrannieAnnie

Blue Legs????
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 21:52 »
Oh thanks everyone!   That makes us feel a lot better!  They look well, its just those legs!  Looks like they've got frostbite!!!!  :lol:

And the not well one has turned into 2, but they are in their box in the dining area eating for England, even the one that was on her side, so I think they can go back in with the others in a day or so!

PHEW!!!!!!!   :lol:  :lol:

xx
Hen legs

Started by cudders on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 23:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
Hen off her legs

Started by chrisdobb on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 19:06
by Boxfanman
xx
spradeld legs

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 14:14
by Aunt Sally
xx
feather legs

Started by poppies on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 19:58
by BigPaddy

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 36 queries.