Getting rid of weeds on a new plot

• 35 Replies

yummy

« on: February 01, 2007, 22:12 »
We chose our plot last weekend and went back for a look today. It has been left for ages and needs clearing before we do anything else.

What is the best way to get rid of the weeds please?

We have been offered a weed killer that 'goes in through the leaf and down to the roots'. Apparently we are ok to plant things afterwards. Does that sound ok to you?

Are there any other ways? It is a full size plot and is completely covered with weeds. We could put black matting down on some of it and leave the weeds to die beneath it I suppose?

What would you recommend? We would like to get on with it if poss rather than wait months to be able to use the plot.

Thanks  :wink:

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 22:16 »
you have been offered "  roundup "  weedkiller   take it . nuke em and then wait for a month in the mean time do all the planning on paper for the plot  buy in the bits you need in preperation for the big day . hire a man with a rotavator n get it done in the one morning . rake level and then set to and live the allotmenteer life in a  shorter time than digging it over little by little  :wink:  the munty way  :lol:  oh almost forgot ......... enjoy urself   :wink:
still alive /............

milkman

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 22:17 »
If you didn't want to resort to chemicals at such an early stage you could rake off as much as the top growth as you can and start digging to get the roots out - little and often.  It may be harder work but it'll give you a much better feel for what your soil is like across the plot.  Unless you are battling with japanese knotweed like wombling2006 it'll probably be easier going than you thought it would be.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

yummy

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 22:20 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
you have been offered "  roundup "  weedkiller   take it . nuke em and then wait for a month in the mean time do all the planning on paper for the plot  buy in the bits you need in preperation for the big day . hire a man with a rotavator n get it done in the one morning . rake level and then set to and live the allotmenteer life in a  shorter time than digging it over little by little  :wink:  the munty way  :lol:  oh almost forgot ......... enjoy urself   :wink:

Phew that is what I wanted to hear  :D  I had braced myself for something along the lines of... 'you don't want to put that muck on your plot, it will kill you or if lucky you may get away with the sudden growth of a third nipple. The only way is to dig it bit by bit.. hard graft... put your back into it... give up your day job cos you don't have time for that anymore..'

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 22:21 »
aaaaaaaaah ha . now we talking big weeds . if you have this pest contact the council qwik it is  law they have to come and get this stuff sorted ...... :wink:  and if you have it you may probably have all ya plot dug over for free  :wink:  

joke
bit lke the thief who told police he buried stolen money on his moms plot ,.coppers come n dug it over for her hehehhe.. money wasnt there of course  :wink:

fluffypebble

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 22:24 »
They are letting you get into it gently, the hard work and blood sweat and tears talk will come next week.  

Do what you feel is best for you.  I am opting for the digging - but - my plot is only small and it is not that overgrown.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

noshed

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 23:15 »
Yep, I'd go for the glyphosate (trade name Roundup). Although it works best when things are growing as it takes the herbicide through the leaves down to the roots, so it might be worth waiting - although nothing seems to have stopped growing on my plot.
And I've found that regular spraying even keeps Japanese Knotweed at bay - even though the council are supposed to be sending the SAS around.
Just make sure you don't get it on your boots and then stroll across your prize lawn...
Forgot to say, the bloke next to me was despairing with bindweed until we had a discussion about glyphosate - and now his life is easier - but he still has a lot of digging to do. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Pure Scotsman

Nasty Couch stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 10:33 »
On a similar vein...

The majority of my plot was pretty clear when I got it a couple of weeks ago and getting it ready for a bit of planting won't be too much of an issue, BUT...

About a third is still covered in thick grass.... Couch Grass I believe....

So how do I get rid of the grass WITHOUT resorting to nasty chemicals?

As it's nasty stuff, I've heard you can't just till it over, but on the other hand I don't want to lose much top-soil as the whol plot is a few inches below the surounding area.
Any ideas???

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 11:11 »
just keep digging it out scotsman matey dig the lot out and burn or dump it ion the skip ,,, do not compost it ...after you dug it all through dig it again . every time a new spear comes up fork it out .you will get on top of it . try and make a barrier like old doors between the growing plot and the grasses area .and just keep hitting it mate

Pure Scotsman

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 11:13 »
Thanks Munty.... had a feeling you were going to say that  :wink:

Now i know what I'll be doing for my 3 weeks of hols starting tomorrow. :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 12:25 »
the best time for roundup is autumn not winter/spring, if you go to their site they give you details of the optimum time to use it, it is no good unless the plant is taking food down to the roots, Autumn is the productive time as they are trying to store as much as poss, I myself would agree with Muntys last post (didnt think I would ever say that) and dig it over and clear as many roots as you can, work on small areas and try and get them spotless, too many people try doing the whole plot and end up giving up, little and often.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 13:37 »
Roundup kills all your frogs

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 13:48 »
so why we not secretly spraying France  :lol:

supersprout

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 14:07 »
This method works for me :D
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/schools_organic_network/leaflets/NoDigGardening.pdf
Just take it easy, do a small amount at a time, and plant straight away. You'll get there! Good luck - SSx

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 15:26 »
vive la france ya wassuck , get a blody haircut  :lol:

xx
What do you do after clearing a plot of weeds when it's the end of May?

Started by lemonstar on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2018, 12:44
by DHM
xx
Clearing the plot - what to do with those weeds?

Started by Green Finger on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 22:01
by Green Finger
xx
Battle plan for weeds on my plot?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 13:35
by potatogrower
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig

Page created in 0.583 seconds with 37 queries.