Laurel Branches?

• 15 Replies

ReaderRabbit

Laurel Branches?
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:53 »
Hi all

have been lurking for a while and am now the proud owner (slave?) of 3 chooks.  I have got a laurel branch (freshly cut today) and was wondering if it is safe to give to my girls with the leaves stripped off?

I know the leaves and berries are poisonous but are the brances OK?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks

RR

Vember

Laurel Branches?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:26 »
Hi ReaderRabbit

Welcome to the mad house  :lol:

Can't really help with the laurel question, but i'm sure someone will be along shortly who can :D

An if you've been lurking for a while you'll no about the RULE for Photo's  :lol:

Sarah :)

ReaderRabbit

Laurel Branches?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03 »
Thanks for the welcome.  The girls have not been very cooperative on the photo front and every time I've tried to take one they walk away  :lol:

I have managed to get a few shots and hope they've uploaded properly.

The White Wyandotte is Tori and she is definitely leader of the pack.  Lacy is the Gold Laced Wyandotte (no bum feathers but starting to fluff up a bit now) and the speckled brown Barnebar is Ophelia (from Shakespeare's Omlet).  

Lacy and Ophelia have not quite worked out who is higher in the pecking order yet.  Lacy gives Ophelia the odd peck but Ophelia got her own back yesterday by giving Lacy a swift kick to move her out of the way when she was sitting sunning herself.

We've had them for 9 days now and they are around 19 weeks old, so they are still quite shy with us humans.

They are totally mad though and go wild when an insect flies into their run.  Oh and they duck when an aeroplane flies overhead  :lol:

Looking forward to joining in with more chicken news in the coming weeks.

RR

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Laurel Branches?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:58 »
Hi mine don't run away they run to me so all I get is a close up of their head. They follow me round the garden and are at this moment pecking at the patio doors to get my attention. So cute. I've had them a week and can't stop watching them
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

Vember

Laurel Branches?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:06 »
Get them some dried mealworms and you'll soon have them eating out of your hand :D

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Laurel Branches?
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 12:34 »
hi
as far as i know, the sap is also very toxic (to humans too so you shouldnt get it on your skin or beathe in microscpic particles)....presumably there will be sap in the branch!
i wouldnt risk it unless anyone knows the definitive answer!

and good luck with your chooks  :)

poultrygeist

Laurel Branches?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 15:56 »
I know the berries are poisonous but didn't think the leaves were. We have one in the chook run so if so, I'll need to dig it out  :shock:

They haven't been eating any of it as far as I know but don't want to risk anything.
Apparently, it depends what variety it is.

Rob 8)

Vickie & Richard

Laurel Branches?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 19:14 »
Find some worms in the garden, they go mad for them, i've had my girls just over a week now and they got mad for treats.  And I've just had my first egg this afternoon, yay!!

poultrygeist

Laurel Branches?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 19:41 »
Congrats on your first egg V&R !!

You'll have to post a photo on the Chicken Chat !  :D

They do indeed love worms and slugs and almost anythign they can dig up, but it sometimes takes them a while to figure out that they are edible.

Rob 8)

ReaderRabbit

Laurel Branches?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 20:54 »
Had the girls out this evening free ranging for the first time (first dry evening for a week).  They had a great time having the run of the garden and were quite happy coming right up to us in exchange for meal worms and corn  :lol:

They've got a routine bedtime and even today they found their way back into the run then into their coop about 8:20pm - clever girls !!!

The only thing we need to do now is teach them that the dust bath (washing up bowl full of earth and sand) is for bathing not eating  :lol:

RR

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
laurel branches
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 18:00 »
hello! we have had 3 of our chickens since eggs and 2 for 3 weeks, for the last 2 months they have happily lived under 2 huge laurel trees with loads of extra branches fixed around for them to clamber on, which they love! they have stripped a few new little leaves to no ill effect but tend to leave them alone so i dont think they pose a problem, our girls get so much fun from them, jumping from branch to branch ! by the way this is my first post and i love it! my girls are princess layer and nugget, (goldlines) anikhen, (babcock) and roastie and paxo (ambers). will put some pics on as soon as ive worked out how! :D
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poultrygeist

Laurel Branches?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 18:03 »
Welcome chickenlady. Are you in the 'bottom' part of Lincs or near the 'head' end ?  :shock:

Sounds like you've got a nice setup for them.

For posting photos, take a read of this and feel free to ask questions if it seems a bit confusing...

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=19476

Rob 8)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Laurel Branches?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 21:47 »
hi yes we are spalding way not far from boston! can anyone tell me if flubenvet is easy to use and if you can eat the eggs whilst treating? (not that any of ours are laying yet!)the 3 youngsters are 14 wks and the ambers are aprox 18-20 wks cant wait for our first egg! its gonna be the most celebrated event this year!

poultrygeist

Laurel Branches?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 22:29 »
Yes. Fulbenvet is very easy. And yes, you can eat the eggs during treatment.

There's a topic about it HERE

Did you get your hens from (Grannie)Annie ?

Rob 8)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Laurel Branches?
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 10:47 »
thanks for the advice, had bought verm-x but everyone keeps saying its rubbish, unforunately we didnt get our new girls from GrannieAnnie (sorry!) I really wanted some pol ambers cause im impatient for eggs! (still eggless) but when hubby is convinced we need more! (im working on it) I will definately check out her stock! she has been really helpful with my youngsters and i wouldnt of found this forum without her, here is pic of the girls minus roastie cause she was having a bath!!!

question
Laurel

Started by Clockhouse Chick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 22:13
by tode
question
Laurel trees

Started by audi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 16:10
by audi

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 29 queries.