Spade Rust remover

• 18 Replies

M0rph3u5

Spade Rust remover
« on: August 12, 2008, 21:48 »
Anyone got any good tips from removing rust from a long abused spade. Would prefer the cheap home spun method rather than an expensive solvent.

Yes I know I should have kept it dry but never too late to mend your ways :-)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Spade Rust remover
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 21:53 »
This sounds easy

Another way to clean and sharpen a spade or shovel is to fill a five gallon container (wide enough for the spade part to fit in), and fill it three-fourths full of coarse sand. Empty a container of rust remover in the coarse sand and mix thoroughly. Set the spade in the bucket of sand covering the blade all the way to where the handle starts. Continue to move the shovel up and down in the coarse sand. The sand will help to sharpen the digging end and the rust remover will of course remove any rust. You may have to leave the spade in the mixture for a time before all the rust is removed. A steel wool pad can also be used to help remove rust.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/665265/how_to_take_care_of_your_hand_garden.html

Gwiz

Spade Rust remover
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 05:56 »
dig with it. :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Spade Rust remover
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:41 »
Quote from: "Gwiz"

:shock: Ohhhh... me back  :wink:

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
Spade Rust remover
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 10:02 »
Coca cola, dissolves anything
Steve

Bignij

• Experienced Member
Spade Rust remover
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 21:47 »
Quote from: "Gwiz"

Beat me to it. :wink:
You can see yer face in my spade at the moment. :lol:  That's my face, not yours, but you know what I mean.:)

M0rph3u5

Spade Rust remover
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 22:50 »
dont know what your digging but I do a lot and the rust dont just go by digging

maybe you are digging your way out of a quarry?

or sand filled with rust solvent?

spill the beans have you been cleaning it after every dig like I didn't or is there a special secret you have to kill me before passing it on?

Poolfield2

Spade Rust remover
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 22:56 »
Ask Santa for a stainless steel one :lol:

Gwiz

Spade Rust remover
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 05:46 »
There is no special secret. maybe our soil is a little more "stoney" than yours?
Just make sure the spade is clean and dry when you put it away. If you're really bothered about it, a quick wipe with an oily rag before putting it back in the shed, wouldn't hurt.

Trillium

Spade Rust remover
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 03:13 »
Popular remedy here is the bucket of sand along with used motor oil - after you've knocked off excess mud. I also purchased a small sponge-looking thing that's actually a soft sanding block just for garden tools. Think I spent the equivalent of 2 pounds for it.
If it's really bad, then take a small metal grinder to it to get the worst of the rust off.

M0rph3u5

Spade Rust remover
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 11:24 »
In case anyone is interested I found a really cheap and successful method:

make a paste of Cream of Tartar and Lemon Juice and paint it on the rust and leave for 24 hours then rinse off and dry

works like magic :-)

BillinPA

Spade Rust remover
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 17:28 »
Quote from: "M0rph3u5"
In case anyone is interested I found a really cheap and successful method:

make a paste of Cream of Tartar and Lemon Juice and paint it on the rust and leave for 24 hours then rinse off and dry

works like magic :-)

There is a product called Naval Jelly that is fairly inexpensive. But outside of the Sand and Old Oil method.....Gwiz got it right "Digging with it" is the cheapest.  But keeping it rust free is best served by cleaning the dirt off and wiping with an oily rag (or spray oil like WD40) before putting it away! :D
Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

Bill in PA

philskin

Spade Rust remover
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:04 »
i agree with aunt sal we used to just use coarse wet sand because when we had real winters i used to cook bacon and eggs on my shovel this used to be cleaned 1st with sand
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

Larkshall

• Experienced Member
Spade Rust remover
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 18:05 »
I use gear oil thinned with paraffin, brush it on thinly. If you use engine oil it contains detergent which will allow water to mix with it and cause rusting. My wheel barrow had started to rust and would probably only last another two to three years, the paint (powder coat) was flaking off. I decided to give it the gear oil treatment, it will now last me out (I'm 80 next March).

http://www.erowell.co.uk/Gardening/Hand-Tools.html

naturesparadise

Spade Rust remover
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 18:14 »
after a days digging clean spade and the spray WD40  on it

no rust  :wink:

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 29 queries.