seed hopper

• 8 Replies

jack russell

seed hopper
« on: January 29, 2007, 23:29 »
Hi all

are these used by the chook keepers out there for seed/layers ? which one or both or do you feed them by hand a certain amount each day?

hope this link works :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHICKEN-BANTAM-POULTRY-AVIARY-FEEDER-1-KILO-CAPACITY_W0QQitemZ330079664311QQihZ014QQcategoryZ46292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

if it doesn't then paste it in search thingy  :oops:
cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
seed hopper
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 23:37 »
hi Jack, we use seed hoppers inside for the chooks layers pellets, but in the afternoon I give them mixed corn which I throw around the run to give them a bit of exercise, and they get their warm mash whenever I've got enough potato peelings and stuff to make it for them.  But their pellets are available all the time.  Fat little so and so's they are!!!!

muntjac

seed hopper
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 23:44 »
these hopers are fine for wild pheasants etc but i wouldnt use them in my pens due to the fact that they encourage the birds to eat all day and they can get fat if they do get fat they WILL STOP LAYING  and these feeders activly encourage keeprs to only go to the birds when the hoppers need filling again . thus making the keepers adopt a lasy attitude to chicken keeping , the other model for water are fine i use the galvanised ones myself . i would positivly say dont use them . if you want to just feed the birds and leave themm to thier own devices for a couple dont bother getting the birds in the first place .  :)
still alive /............

jack russell

seed hopper
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 00:07 »
Hi Munty

i was reluctant to post originally asking if chooks were like dogs and eat for the sake of it coz it's there :lol:

i was not sure,  I keep finches and obviously they have a seed supply at all times but they dont eat for eating's sake. 8)

you put my mind at rest  :wink:

cheers

jr

muntjac

seed hopper
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 00:09 »
no worries mate .. just one thing tho .. do not be afeared to ask anything on this iste no matter how dum you think it is .. we dont know everything ourselves and we ask those same dum questions .. anybody takes the mickey cos ya do ask one . refer em to me   :lol:  :wink: i got loads dum answers fer em  :lol:

jack russell

seed hopper
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 00:17 »
ok cheers Munty :D  :wink:

i will keep that in mind :D

cheers

jr

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
seed hopper
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 09:17 »
Hi I use a hopper, but I made mine out of a large black tomato pot and the bottom of a bucket which I hang from the ceiling of their shed. I started using layers mash but found it was to wasteful as they chuck it everywhere! so I've changed to pellets and my food bill dropped no end.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
seed hopper
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 15:45 »
Well, although our chooks have their pellets in hoppers, they don't eat it all day, they just go in the house when they want some pellets, then come out again and peck around the run.  Especially after lunch when they get their corn treat!

They are not fat, in fact Munty, they are now laying more than ever!!  And some mornings I go in the house and there is still food in the hopper. Anyone passing, please pop in and get some eggs!!!! lol

And it doesn't make me lazy, because I still go down to the house 3-4 times a day collecting eggs, talking to them, digging up the run so they can get worms...... so there!!!!!    8)  8)

milkman

seed hopper
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 16:58 »
oh grannieannie i bet if your hens were able to cock-a-doodle-do they'd be cock-a-doodly-doing every morning as a way of thanking you for showing them that there's much more to life than a miserable death in a battery cage  :)
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

xx
Seed Drills

Started by Digger the Dog on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 11:12
by Digger the Dog
xx
seed drill ?

Started by Alison85 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 20:53
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Seed trays

Started by Lawrence on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 15:38
by compostqueen
xx
Seed tines

Started by Browser on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 16:35
by Browser

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 29 queries.