Weird kitchen behaviour from potatoes/what do yours do?

• 2 Replies

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
This was my first year growing potatoes. I had to make do with what the garden centre had left when I got my plot (early April) so I planted the following varieties: Robinta, Homeguard and Desiree.

We've been harvesting the Robinta, which are earlies. I notice they aren't wildly popular - haven't seen the variety mentioned on these boards, and I can see why, after discovering they behave quite weirdly in the kitchen.

Tried them in mash - they make a very heavy, dense mash. Tried boiling them as new potatoes, and they were a bit bland and uneven - skins came off in a thick layer, outsides got mushy, insides still a bit lumpy. Tried parboiling them before roasting, and they fell apart super-quickly. Then last night I cut some in wedges and roasted them in the oven (NO parboiling this time). Bingo. Lovely fast-cooking potato wedges with super-crispy skins (though some of the skins came off and made sort of crisps. Still. Weird potato. Looking forward to seeing what the others are like.

Next year I'm planting Maris Pipers and Pentland Javelins!!

Any other tales to tell or hints about which potatoes are best for what kinds of cooking??

mashauk

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 15:56 »
Swift earlies I've only ever boiled and ate hot with butter and herbs or cold in potato salad, can't bear to do anything else with em that might take the taste away, yum!

Clampit

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 18:30 »
The link below is probably no help to you whatsoever, it tells you everything about 'Robinta', except the best way to cook 'em.

http://www.europotato.org/display_description.php?variety_name=ROBINTA

xx
My potatoes look weird!

Started by pfitz13 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 18:46
by Walewein
xx
Weird potatoes

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 20:11
by mumofstig
xx
Antisocial behaviour?

Started by Trebor on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 17:00
by SnooziSuzi
xx
strange truss behaviour

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:55
by Ice

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 31 queries.