While I was kept waiting at the pet food suppliers

• 9 Replies

Oliveview

I waited for about 10 minutes to be served so wandered about looking at the different sacks of animal  food.  Our girls normally have layers food, it costs about 12.50€ for a small sack.  I noticed a bag of open chicken food and it looked exactly the same as the layers food.  The sack must be 2 times the weight at a guess if not more and is just 3€ more, that is if I heard right.  I´ll need more  food soon, so I will buy a couple of kilos and see if the girls like it.
This is one time being kept waiting was good, hopefully. :D  
We have given up giving the hens the grain stuff, they just threw it everywhere. I´ve bought some small pelleted hen food, I´ll try them with that tomorrow morning.  Is it ok to mix in the same feeder as the layers food?
Pamela
so far this week I´ve had 25 eggs from 10 hens :D  They are back in laying mode :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: While I was kept waiting at the pet food suppliers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 23:10 »
Quote from: "oliveview"
Our girls normally have layers food, it costs about 12.50€ for a small sack.  I noticed a bag of open chicken food and it looked exactly the same as the layers food.  The sack must be 2 times the weight at a guess if not more and is just 3€ more, that is if I heard right.

Are you sure it's layers feed Pamela :?:   You'll create a problem if it's not  :!:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 23:13 »
Yes, wot Auntie says!!!  Layers food has a higher protein and other nutrients content in it, but is this other stuff actually chicken feed?  Could be anything, but still look the same by the time its mushed up or pelleted!

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:13 »
It did look exactly the same, the pack had a chicken pictured on it.  Maybe I´d better stick to the expensive stuff then, just in case.

When we first moved to our old house here our neighbours (who turned into the neighbours from hell) asked us to get a sack of chicken food..... so off I go and ask for a  sack of food for a ´cebolla´  the man could not understand what I was asking for.... in the end he got a sack with pictures of animals on it and I pointed to the horse...... a caballo/a  I´d been asking for a sack of food for an onion :oops:  :roll:

Pamela

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:49 »
I saw a sack of something 'other' than layers in my horse feeders not too long ago.. if i remember i'll note down the name and details next time and we can see if it meets the grade. Does seem strange that only one food is used generally.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:26 »
It could have been growers pellets.  They will look identical to layers.

NormandyMary

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 17:46 »
I save a bomb now buying the bigger bags, 25 kilos thanks to a gadgy in the garden centre who asked me how many chooks I had.
I pay 33 euros for 25 kilos each of pellets, grain and crushed maize, as opposed to around 27 euros for 10 kilos of each. Way food prices are going, we'll be sitting down to a bowl of it every night soon!

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:55 »
I went to the feed place this week and saw grower’s pellets two plies of them both look exactly the same but one infact was for hens and the other for turkeys.

If you give turkeys the hen growers and they contain the coxi it will kill them also the amount of protein etc is a lot less than a turkey pellet.

If you give your hens the turkey pellets you will cause problems again.

Please be careful and make sure you buy the correct feed.

Porffor

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:27 »
goodness that'd be an easy mistake to make.

I buy mine in 10k at the moment but am going to 'up' my purchase to 25k just gotta clear space for another feed bin in the feed shed! lol

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 14:31 »
Quote from: "kimT"
I went to the feed place this week and saw grower’s pellets two plies of them both look exactly the same but one infact was for hens and the other for turkeys.

If you give turkeys the hen growers and they contain the coxi it will kill them also the amount of protein etc is a lot less than a turkey pellet.

If you give your hens the turkey pellets you will cause problems again.

Please be careful and make sure you buy the correct feed.

All turkey foods except finisher contain ACS so it won't hurt feeding table turkeys and chickens the same food, except you might find that the lower amount of protein in poultry foods doesn't make them grow as quick.

It's ducks and geese that can't tolerate ACS.

xx
Food suppliers/shops in Merseyside/Cheshire

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 23:48
by Mr Chookles
xx
still waiting for that first egg

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 01, 2007, 21:43
by muntjac
xx
waiting for eggs!

Started by mfreynolds on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 21:44
by mfreynolds
xx
Really this is worth waiting for!!

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 21:11
by Foxy

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 36 queries.