HELP................PLEASE

• 27 Replies

Jellyhead

« on: July 29, 2008, 09:29 »
So I thought I had the lice under control for now, Frontline on adults (where I havent noticed a problem) but my little Buff Orps have them. I didnt realise and lost one at the weekend, another is showing same signs today. I have just used my last bit of Carbyl powder but havent got enough to do all the babies :oops:  :cry: The vet is still saying that there isnt an alternative powder over here but that I can use a flea spray for the house (Tiquanis) in the coop (I dont like it personally) but nothing for the chooks themselves. I went to another vet and the nurses said the best thing was cinders from a fire. If you cover the chook in the cinders :shock:  :shock: it kills all the crawlies, well I need your opinions quick and what do you all recommend for the powder Diatom? Mitex? not that familiar with the UK products :oops: but I need to get some over here toot sweet.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Vember

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:59 »
O no Jelly :(

I know I've used johnsons Antimite spray in the past get it from most petshops. But don't know if you'll be able to get it over there.

It's used for budgies etc... and kills straight away but not the eggs treat 7 days after and any new hatches will be killed.

I tend to use frontline on mine and all ok so far (touch wood)

Is there a pet shop near you that sells mite stuff for cage birds????

Ahhhhh can you send areosols in post ?????  

Want to help if I can will send anything you want

:)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:06 »
Wish I could help Jelly, but I've never had lice.  Just a thought though, if you smeared all over where the lce are with vaseline or equivalent, would that suffocate them?  

And someone mentioned tea tree oil for something was that lice?  you could mix it in with the vaseline.  I say vaseline, but that's a name isn't it?  I just buy the cheap petroleum jelly but don't know if you can get it out there?

When my dog had ticks when I lived in Malta, we used to dab a little meths on them and it killed them.  they used to jump off the dog too, but I don't suppose you can do tha with lice, they are smaller!!!

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:58 »
Can't someone post you some lice powder or is it not allowed?

Jellyhead

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:01 »
Boogie has offered to post me some until I can arrange delivery/postage of a larger qty. What is best tho?

Bodger

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:07 »
PM me your address and I'll send you a tin of the best stuff that you'll ever get.

Jellyhead

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:12 »
have done Bodge, ta muchly :wink:

stamford

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chelseafc.com
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:15 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
PM me your address and I'll send you a tin of the best stuff that you'll ever get.

OK So whats it called ? The suspense is killing me  :D

Bodger

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:45 »
Hi Stamford.
I plug this stuff wherever I go. I really can't praise it enough.
The product is called Mite-Kill and it comes in aresol form. It will kill all bugs very quickly and because its designed to work on wood surfaces, it has a good residual effect on the birds.
I spray right at the base of the feathers around the vent and squirt under each wing and for good measure, I also lift up the feathers on the hackle at the back of the neck and spray there.
The pour on medications do work but they take time to work. This is not a great deal of use if your favourite chicken is being eaten alive right before your eyes. In pest control jargon, this product has what is termed as a very rapid 'knock down' effect. If you want those crawlies off your birds quickly, then this is the stuff to use.
With lice, you are going to get constant re infestation from wild birds who literally carry them with them full time. I now have three or four tins of this stuff scattered around the holding and if i have cause to pick up a bird up, there's usually one handy and they get treated. Its a system that works well for me.

stamford

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chelseafc.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:47 »
Thanks Bodger - I'll google it and found out where to get it from  :D

Bodger

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 12:54 »
At a pinch, ordinary household fly spray will help you out of a bind.

I once caught a ferret that had escaped from someone while out hunting. The poor thing was covered in hundreds of blood sucking sheep ticks. I had nothing else at hand and used the fly spray. In half an hour the whole lot had dropped off.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 13:01 »
blimey  :shock:   Lucky you were on hand. The poor thing

Is it branded Net Tex MiteKill?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 13:11 »
Not licenced for use on animals but designed for hard surfaces and furnishings.  An egg withdrawal time might be advisable.  

Many like to garden with organic principals and that would include eggs (and meat).  What are the active ingredients Bodger ?

Bodger

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 13:20 »
I think that most organic gardeners would realise that Mite- Kill is not an 'organic' product but I want to stop my chicken from suffering quickly and not have to wait for the crawlies to leave when they are good and ready. Its a matter of needs must.
A quick google will reveal the ingredients.

Are you saying that products like ' front line ' are green products ?

There you go.

http://www.ratbait.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=185&gclid=CMDG6quL5ZQCFQ86EAodG3IOQQ

Please note, that because a product is not licensed for a certain use, it does not mean that its not suitable for use on livestock. This can be for a number of reasons. The company may have an identical product under a different brand name for the job or it maybe for economic reasons. The company may not deem it worthwhile after  looking at the market to go to the expense of getting it licensed. Anyway ! I and many other poultry users have used this for years without any apparent side effects to either ourselves or the birds.

The next time you walk around a supermarket, have a look at the list of ingredients on the packaging of the various bug sprays available and you'll see that from brand to brand, they will be almost if not entirely identical.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 13:41 »
Is this the Mite-Kill your on about?

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/chicken-mite---kill_1_20233.html
The page states..
"The birds should be removed from the poultry house before spraying and obviously old straw / bedding removed. Apply spray, close doors, shutters etc. Allow 15 - 20 mins after appplication before allowing the birds to return. Breathing in propane / butane fumes in a confined space such as a poultrty house will otherwise cause some narcosis to the birds.

The active ingredient is Permethrin - commonly used for direct application to the birds for control of mite. HOWEVER our product is not licensed for such direct application to the birds.
There is no notified withdrawal period for human consumption of the birds or eggs, and certainly egg taint A specific formulation that not only kills common chicken mite immediately, but once applied, remains active for up to three months to ensure all migrating mite are accounted for. Also kills fleas and other flying and crawling insects."

That clears it up for me.  
My opion is that Permethrin is used on chuck but the product is not licensed for direct application to the birds there for should be ok.  Just dont over spray the bird.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Page created in 0.561 seconds with 31 queries.