better strawberries?

• 8 Replies

green stan 77

better strawberries?
« on: July 18, 2008, 22:00 »
hello all,

I have bought a strawberry plant for the summer and want lovely big strawberries is it worth putting anything in soil or shall i just leave them,

any advice apprieciated

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
better strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 22:17 »
What's it planted in?

What variety is it?

The biggest flush of strawberries is over, there are later fruiting varieties, but be prepared to have missed the boat, (unless it's got buds or green berries on it!).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

green stan 77

better strawberries?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 22:23 »
thanks dd

looks like the nursery saw me coming, :x  they are in a hanging basket in compost. there is four strawberries on the go now ,green but strawberry looking. I just wondered if its worth feeding them?

Porffor

better strawberries?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 22:25 »
All is not lost, look after it and if it grows runners you'll get a good 'buy one - get four or five free' ;) I bought two plants earlier in the year, had the 'crop' if you can call it that, and have 8 runners potted up ready and waiting to root before cutting from the mother plant. :)
Will save me buying them in next year! :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
better strawberries?
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 22:33 »
The most important thing if they are in a hanging basket is to keep them moist, feeding usually is done before fuiting, but giving them some general plant food won't hurt.

You can propagate them as Porffor says, but you'll have to take the basket down!

gobs

better strawberries?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 23:16 »
Some tomato feed should go down very well in a basket anyway, but if they are fruiting now, they might well be ever-bearers, which do need feeding even in the ground for good fruiting.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
better strawberries?
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 14:48 »
I bought 6 strawberry plants last year from Aldi,
but planted them too close together so only got about 5 fruits, but I potted most of the runners.

This year I have had over 60 plants on the go, and never seen so many fruits, have been eating them every day, giving them away to whoever will take them and still got about 14lb in the freezer.

So you may not get much off them this year but plant the runners and go for a great crop next year.

Porffor

better strawberries?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 14:19 »
Wow paddywack that is seriously impressive!! lol Jam making springs to mind there! :)

I now have 8 plants (6 planted runners) out of my 2 that i bought earlier this year.. am hoping it springs more runners too. :)

Did you keep your plants indoors over winter? I don't have a greenhouse so am now having to think about how to keep them out of frost if they need it. I have sheds I can put them in.. just gotta remember to water! lol

agapanthus

better strawberries?
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 17:44 »
Strawberries are really hardy...no need for a GH!!!! :)

xx
Strawberries

Started by rob on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 20:51
by richyrich7
thumbup
Strawberries

Started by perisama on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 22:20
by Junie
xx
Strawberries??

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 23:34
by viettaclark
xx
Strawberries

Started by paj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 03:29
by Trillium

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 28 queries.