Tar wash

• 4 Replies

rainie

Tar wash
« on: July 13, 2008, 22:45 »
Can anyone tell me about the tar wash, tar/oil wash stuff.
Think I need to do all my fruit trees, pear, apple, plum, cherry.
Feels like my trees have every type of creepy crawly and disease.

Is the tar stuff a wash, spray, gluey thing, how do I put it on and when. Nothing to lose by doing it now as very litle fruit this year. :(
Where can I buy it from, any idea how much it is.

Many thanks
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

woodburner

Tar wash
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 23:22 »
It's officially banned as soil steriliser, pesticide, and winter wash, BUT it's still available as patio cleaner.  :o  I don't really understand why it's been banned (except that the companies that produce it can't afford the six million £ needed for the tests to prove it's harmless to humans), as the only really nasty stuff associated with it is naphthalene, which is not a component of the wash, and anyway needs to be inhaled chronically to have serious long term effects. Plus if it's still ok for cleaning . . .

Anyway, to answer your question there are some newer washes around but I know nothing about them and suspect that in a few years time they will be found out to be not as safe as they are supposed to be. (Yes, I'm a cynic.) I prefer the devil I know which is Jeyes fluid and Armillatox. I looked pretty hard to find out why it was banned and drew a blank except for the association with napthalene/creosote. Nicotine and pyrethrum and some others however, it's easy to see why they are banned.

It's traditionally used in winter, and I think it has more to do with foliage damage than fruit. I think Armillatox website has more info. I'm pretty sure the dilution ratio is different from when you use it on patios too.

Edit: It's only 3 million £ my bad  :tongue2:
It's now called Armillatox Soap Based Outdoor Cleaner
"Use as a winter wash to revitalise your cankerous fruit trees. Spray in November at a dilution of 50:1"
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

rainie

Tar wash
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:15 »
Many thanks for that brill bit of info. My kind a language. Will see what I can get hold of today.   :D

woodburner

Tar wash
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:27 »
You're welcome :)

rainie

Tar wash
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 16:14 »
Well, today I got some 'growing success' winter tree wash +, and some armillatox. Guess what I am doing tonight!
As well as de-lousing and worming my chickens, and pressure washing their bedroom and nestboxes.
Oh, what a good life we lead :geek:

xx
Through the wash

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 13:15
by sclarke624
xx
Now wash your hands!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 12:30
by BabbyAnn
xx
Winter Wash

Started by arwen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:27
by Yorkie
xx
winter tar wash or similar

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 27, 2008, 21:05
by rainie

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 27 queries.