Need old timer's

• 4 Replies

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Need old timer's
« on: June 30, 2008, 21:22 »
This chap is in his 90's and he has lost some very old Chrysanthemums He has helped me very much with showing me how to take cutting's and the like. He has had some die on him that he has had for year's ( He went on holiday and they fried in his green house). He said that they were a variety called Dexter and he can not find them. I was wondering if you know any where I can get some from for him as a repayment for his advice and help. I have been in contact with the national
Chrysanthemum association and they have said that these ( Shirley Sunburst Shirley Empress) are the nearest they can think of but they are not listed in any brochures and have been told that I am better of trying to get a cutting off some one. I would love to give something back to this chap.

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Need old timer's
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:43 »
This company is the biggest supplier of Chrysanthemums and Dahlia's in the UK.  I have used them on a couple of occassions in the past and found them very helpful and pleasant to deal with.

http://www.hallsofheddon.co.uk/system/index.html

Failing that, perhaps post a blog on this and other growing web sites and see if you can obtain/purchase some cuttings for next season.  Go to some local shows as well and ask people there, you might get lucky.

regards

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Porffor

Need old timer's
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 13:15 »
Jim, i'm no help but just wanted to say Kudos to you! :) a lovely gesture and hope you have success. :)

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Need old timer's
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 13:22 »
thanks ruby but no luck as yet, one guy said he had not heard the name of the Chrysanthemum Dexter for about 30 years he said i stand a cat in hell's chance of finding one.

Jim

gobs

Need old timer's
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 14:54 »
Dexter, donno, but you could try this chap about the Shirley:

LINK
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
first timer

Started by triyin on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 14:48
by triyin

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 29 queries.