Goats - Anyone keep them?

• 11 Replies

Charlwood1005

« on: June 30, 2008, 20:54 »
Does anyone keep goats.  I am thinking about getting a couple for milk, can anyone offer any advice.

Porffor

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 21:07 »
I'd love to.. but sadly haven't the land.. only thing i do know is.. they eat EVERYTHING :lol: but you likely know that already.. oh and they are CUTE! lol ;)

oh and very quietly i'll say they taste lovely curried.  :oops:

Vember

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 21:09 »
They absolutly hate rain,
when they're out they want to be in and when they're in they want to be out,

ours were a nightmare  :lol:

I'm sure our two were a one off and other people will have had a better experience than I did  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 21:20 »
Always thought I would prefer sheep, smell less :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 21:41 »
van connick has LOADS of goats  :!:

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 22:16 »
Grannie Annie kept goats. I don't think the memories are wholly happy ones.  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 22:25 »
Our old neighbours (who turned into neighbours from hell) kept 2 goats, a nanny and a billy.  They never ever managed to get a baby goat- thank goodness.  They kept them in a  garage that was about 6 feet from our kitchen window and patio and they stunk :shock:   They were never cleaned out- nor were the hens who had a ´room´ at the back of the garage bit.  They said if anyone complained they would get pigs too...... and that was while they were ´friendly´ with us.  At least we didn´t get many flies, they were all too busy in the hen/goat garage :shock:
Pamela

Skip

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 03:34 »
Oliveview - my current neighbours bring horses into their backyard and in the heat of summer the smell is really bad.  As well, they bring with them horse flies which are really bad news as they bite and hurt like hell.  Here in suburbia we are squashed up like sardines.  My property alone borders with FIVE others.  I haven't spoken to my neighbours on the other side for more than two years when they decided to build an underground garage (under the house) and wanted to put all the dirt that came out of it onto my front yard!!!  I told them that their dirt wasn't going onto my front yard and I couldn't see why their dirt was my problem!!!
Skip, in Oz

Skip

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 03:38 »
You have to get the right breed of goats.  The ones featured on TV here Down Under a few times were really lovable creatures and docile.  Yes, they will eat anything but I think they don't find barbed wire all that palatable!  :lol:

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 22:34 »
I have one goat and she is not that much of a problem, she gets tied out in the field during the day (to a bit of machinery, where she can shelter under if it rains) and gets in a night. But she is very good at breaking baler twine and collars and will head straight for the cattle shed to eat their meal and dung all over it  :roll:

She likes her little calf hutch and human company and gives a good litre of milk a day without ever having a kid. And no smell (ok, it's on a farm so possibly it's just not noticeable with all the other smells. But generally only uncastrated male goats smell).

Oh, and she doesn't mind rain all that much and rather happily munches grass in the pouring rain than stand under the dung spreader ;)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 19:51 »
:?: How on earth does she produce milk without ever having had a kid :?:

wighty

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 20:40 »
I have two pygmies, Mercury and Mars who are kept to purely keep down the stuff we don't want anybody else to eat. They are feisty little creatures which will try and butt you at any opportunity but they are only tweo foot tall

xx
GOATS!!

Started by chickenlittle on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post November 20, 2007, 09:43
by Selkie
xx
Mediumground Oatmeal - is this OK for chicks/ducks/goats

Started by james419 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 11, 2007, 16:41
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 28 queries.