Todays work made me smile

• 12 Replies

Porffor

« on: June 28, 2008, 16:44 »
I extended my patch today.. well it's a small bed to the side of my patch.. :)
Very pleased as I lifted the turf and dug it over all by myself (hubby usually helps but he was busy entertaining the girls). :) I have a dodgy back so had to be careful but managed it. :) Chooks are busy eating the turf and finding worms ;)

I now have Beetroot, carrots (baby variety) and pumpkins growing away.. :lol: well i know they've got a lot of work to do. :)
Sowed some Broccoli (purple) indoors too to get it started, it's a winter variety that needs planting when the plants are big enough. :)

Also planted some pumpkins inside too as wanted to make sure we get something and not sure if bugs will get to the outdoor crop or not.

Sorry to ramble! lol Just wanted to share. :)

Pompey Spud

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 16:53 »
Sounds like you had a great day. Good weather?

Post some pics. Don't be shy.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 17:08 »
Pumpkins? Inside?

How big an 'inside' have you got! :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Porffor

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 17:21 »
lol at the pumpkins.. can you imagine! :)
no they'll go out when they are plants.. but figured the bugs might get 'em and we're big on Halloween in our house so will save me a good few £'s if we can grow our own.. love pumpkin pie and soup too. :)  - watch me end up with 15 pumpkins now!  :shock:   :lol:

I'll take some pics but i'm not a tidy gardener.. I have a bit of grass between my other veggie patch! lol

Weather is overcast, but dry and no wind, so perfect given the ground is wet :)

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 19:19 »

Click on images to enlarge.

Please... don't slate me! lol
The veg patch started as radish, toms and cauli's.
The guinea pigs eat all 3.. the cauli's have been supplying leaves for the pigs for some time and the gaps were filled with radish that are now harvested. :)
I have rows of seedlings in the main beds, rocket, Spinach Beet, lettuce, carrots etc. More beans should appear too :)

The entire veg patch when finally finished will be wider and meet with the new section and make that wider by the same width again, then all the way past the bench you can see upto the garden wall :) There is currently a planter of iris bulbs and a potting bench there - saddly to rotten for use. :) That is the final plan, and a paralell fruit 'slope' at the back of the garden. :)

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 20:01 »
Good grief, why would anyone slate you.

looks great and if you are enjoying it, that is what matters.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Porffor

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 20:03 »
:lol: thanks :) I keep meaning to get the grass out properly but as soon as I turn around it's grown back again..  :roll:
the rubbish tip in the walkway around the back of our sheds will be cleared and that'll continue the 'raised bed' style on one side, then when my back is bad I can still tend to some of it. :) Thats why I planted by the wall initially :) We only moved in last August so it's a bit trial and error with DIY in the house in between! lol

Big Jen

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 20:16 »
It's great having your "allotment" at home isn't it ? Mine is too :lol:
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

titch

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 20:48 »
i think it looks great porffor, my veggies are in my garden too, i like it cos i can pop out and do a bit and still get on with other things too (why do one thing at a time when you can have 6 or so on the go!!!! :lol: )

Well done on the productive day. :D  :D  :D - it's not easy when you have kids to entertain either, but i do like a bit of digging myself, very satisfying.
just keep breathing................

Porffor

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 21:06 »
:) it is lovely having the patch at home :) as you say means you can just nip out - watering etc is much easier too. :)
We had an allotment years ago, got it dug over and planted up.. then got our first foster child.. allotment died a death I'll be honest, we were walking to it as didn't have a car, and with a newborn (2 days old) that had colic and kept us up all night well we just couldn't function. :(

So most of the veggies i'm growing are a first for me! lol

Erin likes helping too :) she planted some seeds :)

gardengran

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 23:08 »
i got another section of my garden done today too...will have to get my daughter onto it with the camera as im not very tech minded....took out another section of path and wall and dug a bed 4x12ft but didnt get anything planted as yet...some kids jumped over fence  :cry:  twice today and landed on my beetroot seedlings  :cry:  so dont know if i will get anything from them now and they squashed a marrow plant too  :roll: wish i knew who they were!
please god let my carrots grow as big as the dock roots!

Porffor

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 10:03 »
time for something on your fence top i think. grr i'd kill em! :( Can you add trellis (assuming its fence panels)? or something that will deter them - within the law of course. How very very annoying. :(

Well done getting your bed done, bigger than mine, it's probably only 5' long but i was shattered and need hubby to move the iris's. You wouldn't think i was 36 i know, but my back really is sore today from my efforts yesterday. :( I have loads i want to do out there too.. we cut down a massive conifer and I want to trim branches off etc and get it stripped down to logs or whatever but it'll have to wait for another day... even though it's calling to me to do it today! lol

gardengran

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 18:19 »
my son want to put carpet gripers on top of fence  but i dont think so  :? they are using the gardens as some sort of short cut i think but we all have 6ft fences. somewhere along line one of them will get hurt.the beetroot seedling and marrows look really sorry for themselves.

as for your garden plod on little at a time it will soon add up your veg is looking well good  :D  much further on then mine is... :D

xx
todays the day

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2007, 21:35
by Aidy
xx
Todays harvest

Started by love-my-plot on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 20:19
by Noah'strolly
xx
todays pickings

Started by flatcap on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2007, 22:24
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Todays harvest

Started by Jen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 18:10
by Jen

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 27 queries.