Highs and Lows of Our First Week of Chooks

• 8 Replies

rachj

« on: June 27, 2008, 16:17 »
We're new to chicken keeping and have been lurking round reading this forum for a couple of weeks now and getting some great advise - thanks.

We got 2 hybrids and 3 bantams just over a week ago and have been loving the whole experience. I could watch them for hours  :D All such great little characters.

We have built a completely enclosed run that is 2.5m by 5m. The idea being that we could leave them locked up for a couple of days if we are away and then they will still have plenty of room to move about. But we planned to let them free range in the garden when we are around.

So yesterday was the first day that we let them out in the garden all day. When I got home from work I found my other half frantically searching the garden - we only had 3 chickens.  :(  2 bantams were missing.

We started searching the neighbours gardens and found one them hiding under a bush obviously in a state of shock because she hardly moved but no signs of injury. She seemed to recover when we put her back in the run with the other chooks.

In another neighbours gardens we found a pile of feathers but no chicken. And a very content looking cat. :evil:

So now we are in a real dilemma. We want out chooks to have a good life and be able to free range but if we're not in the garden with them we'll be constantly worried about the bantams. I think the 2 bigger girls will be able to hold their own against a cat. We don't want to have to separate them either.

We're wondering whether we should clip their wings so they can't get into other gardens but then will they be able to get away from predators. Our garden is surrounded by 5 or 6ft fencing so we thought that would keep them in - apparently not!

I guess this is just a fact of life with chickens but its not a great start so any advise would gratefully received.

FCG

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 16:55 »
Check all things near fences. Can they hop onto something 1/2 or 1/4 of the way up and then flap over the rest of the way?

How are you managing the poo situation by the way?

Vember

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 18:24 »
If your going to clip their wings be sure to only do the one so it off balances them :)

Welcome to the hen house by the way, would love to see some photo's of your girls :D

What's the poo situation FreeCG???? Is there something I should know  :?

rachj

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 15:42 »
Frrecg - good point. There is a compost bin next to the fence which would explain how the one we managed to recover had got next door. The lost chicken is still a mystery.

We've just spent most of the weekend with the chooks out in the garden and they spent most of the time in about 1 sq metre of garden so I don't feel quite so bad about leaving them in their run all day now!

Poo situation was ok until they seem to have decided that the patio was their favourite place to be!

I've just seen the funniest thing - our black sultan called Pepper can do the moon walk  :lol:

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 15:45 »
Mine will hop from one thing to another and use their wings as 'aids' to get there.. ;) I have a run (as we have dogs and children) which is 3x2.5m and netted over the top. I make sure the chooks have interesting things to play with (sand pit, mud/dust bath, logs and yesterday added a pile of turf to play in) :) they are very happy girls and lay well despite not free-ranging or getting next door.. my major concern was that they'd get into other peoples gardens (which they would) and maybe even the road it's not busy but all the same definately a worry.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 22:11 »
We have a cat who enjoys hunting,so we decided we will get chickens,not bantams.we thought the bantams would be too tempting for her...But I hope you resolve your problem. :wink:
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 22:00 »
We have 3 cats and one of them is a killing machine - however, he is petrified of our chickens. He does eye up the bantam every now and again but I think the others have seen him off a couple of times and now he doesn't like having to walk too near them to go off hunting elsewhere!

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 22:11 »
Hiya, clip one of their wings, and dont worry about bantams and cats, ours can certainly hold her own, your chickens will soon work out who feeds them so they will not stray very far.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 21:35 »
I'm glad to hear what you say about cats,mtoyne,because it's reassuring to know,as we haven't got our chooks yet,but have been wondering what the cats will think to them.I hope the chooks see off the naughty one,so she will give up & leave them alone.
Hopefully the cats will keep any rats away,if they're tempted in our garden because  of the chook food! :)

xx
highs and lows of chicken keeping

Started by jonandjen16 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 23:15
by Poolfield2
xx
Integrating 8 week old chooks

Started by jhub on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 20:47
by jhub
xx
Update on chooks hatched in the week

Started by Nails on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 12:48
by lisa80
xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 28 queries.