omg........ im soooooo excited!!!!

• 8 Replies

chickchick

« on: July 13, 2008, 20:29 »
:lol:  :lol:  we have all worked hard over this weekend and have a completely coop and run virtually finished, just the door frame to make so we can walk into the run!!!!!!
so on tuesday (as the place isnt open tomorrow) im off to buy food, feeders, water thingies,etc etc, as although theyve finished laying someone is giving me two hens later in the week!!!! im so excited, im off to the loo in a min (sorry about that, but ive been waiting a year for this) woohoo, i dont care that they dont lay (hubby not that happy) just pleased that they are friendly and good with kids. can we introduce more chickens maybe 3 more? will they be ok together?
also can someone help me with my shopping list of essential hen stuff, best food to buy, that shell stuff etc
thanks
wooooooohooooooooooo
xxx

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 20:36 »
Congratulations :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
How exciting for you. Have to say I really like getting the eggs though :wink:  Currently trying to find which breed of duck lays blue/green eggs as thats what I would like next :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

Re: omg........ im soooooo excited!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 20:37 »
Quote from: "chickchick"
im so excited, im off to the loo in a min (sorry about that, but ive been waiting a year for this)

I'd always advise going to the loo more than once a year  :wink:

Wood shavings for coop
Straw for coop
Wood chippings for run (optional)
Feeder
Drinker
Layers' pellets
mixed corn
poultry shield for cleaning coop
oyster grit (poultry grit & oyster shell mixed)

Errm  :roll:

Rob  8)

chickchick

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 20:51 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: sorry about that rob!!!!

do you recommend wood chippings? currently the base is a concrete slab (ex greenhouse base) it would have taken forever to get rid of that, but we have some super compost (garden is full of it) and sand, should i put some of that down as well to encourage them to peck around for worms etc?
and we put a roof on it too, thanks to you lot!!!

ps how big do the feeders and water holders need to be for 5-6 hens?
 thanks sorry to be a nuisance!

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 21:14 »
We've got 6 and we use a 3kg (i think) feeder and 2.5litre drinker. Or could be other way round.

The feeder I fill every night to about 3/4 full and it goes down to about 1/4 or less. Allows some leeway in case I can't do it for some reason.

The drinker just about lasts 24hrs so the next one up might be good.

We have an off the floor wooden coop with wood shavings in the sleep/living bit and straw in the nest box.

The concrete base it's on has bark chippings on it and the run is just dirt with some wood chipings down.

Rob  :)

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 21:52 »
I haven't bothered with straw, i did at the beginning (only 2 months ago, suuuchhh an expert now NOT!!)  I just use wood shavings.  You can get it in huge bags that they use as horse bedding.  It's much easier to poop a scoop with that.  I go through the coop every day with my marigolds picking up the poop ( they are very good girls and it's mainly under their perches) then i do a full clean out and scrub every second week.  i would also get some red mite powder and some poultry shield for cleaning the coop with and some apple vinegar to add to their water for conditioning.  Chech with the person you are gettin them from on their feed as they might not take to something different.  Good luck, they are lovely animals, mine already respond to clicking fingers and a 'what;s this?'  you'll be suprised how fast they'll run for something tasty.  Oh and greens too, just bog standard spring greens or cabbage or even grass clippings go down a treat

stamford

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chelseafc.com
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 14:19 »
ChickChick Nooooooo Your gonna beat me too it !!  :(  :(  Still behind on schedule but going out in the garden tonight to finish off the little jobs that are still required... But still undecided whether to have them free range or to pen them in there own enclosure as SWMBO doesnt want poop trodden into her shag pile  :lol:  :lol:

Hope it goes well, good luck

chickchick

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 20:22 »
:lol:  :lol: ive been cracking the whip on hubby and hopefully the runs door will be finshed tomorrow! (or else!!!)good luck stamford!

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 21:25 »
Enjoy yourself tomorrow,chickchick :D Hope you've been saving,because if you're like me you'll spend more than you plan to!!I'm getting my chickens in August hopefully,can't wait..You must post some piccies when you get your girls :wink:
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

xx
Excited

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 10:46
by Aunt Rhody
xx
really excited!!!!

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 18:48
by Sparkle
xx
So excited

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 19:23
by Selkie
xx
omg omg omg! Excited and a little help please!

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2012, 21:59
by rosie14

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 37 queries.