• 8 Replies

Debz

« on: June 26, 2008, 20:27 »
Hi all, been lurking for a while and now need some advice please. As a wedding present my new husband and I were given this:

http://www.ideas-4-pets.com/pages-productinfo/category-174_197/product-2473/products-for-parrots-and-birds-chicken-coops-and-chicken-runs-rabbitshack-large-chickenshack-chicken-house-rs709l-r-s.html

Can you please advise me how many chooks this would suit comfortably, bearing in mind that to the greater extent this will be their living space (due to urban foxes, neighbours dogs and cats etc.).

Can you also recommend what breed of chooks this set up would be best for?

Many thanks in advance.

Debz.

bockhamptoners

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 20:44 »
i havn't got the foggiest idea :oops:  but it looks very posh :D  good luck, we are new to chickens also, well we havnt even got them yet!
Kevin & Kate
Us + 4 boyz + 2 dogs + 2 cats + 2 Guinea pigs + 4 chickens + horse (animal insurance is more than the cars!)

mumsy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 20:47 »
What a fantastic wedding present.........Hi & Welcome Debz.......the info says 6 larger birds or 8/10 banties.  If they are to be in this most of the I would quarter these numbers, IMHO.  Manufacturers always state more than you would house in any coop/run.  The more space you can give per bird the better.  If they were free ranging alot of the time then 3 larger birds-4 banties.  Good luck.......you know its an addictive hobby if you have been lurking a while...& don't forget the piccies when your girls have arrived :wink:  :wink:

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 22:05 »
that's a lovely pressie  :D   Not sure but I think you'd need more space than just that run though. Someone will be along shortly to answer you fully  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 22:20 »
Welcome in Debz.

I would be tempted, if you can, to extend the run as much as you can.

Another metre or 2 on the length or maybe a metre on the depth, depending on your situation would make it ok for 3 medium birds I'd have thought.
Would you be wanting them to supply eggs for just the 2 of you ?
If so, then I'd have thought 3 would be enough. But you ought to consider making that run a bit bigger using a similar spec wire mesh.
Otherwise it seems like a nice place for them.  :)

Rob  8)

Poolfield2

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 23:47 »
What a fantastic pressie, much better than the towels and toast racks we had. Did you ask for one or was someone just very creative in their thinking?

Did they wrap it :wink:

chookiepaula

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 08:04 »
hello there, if this is the house i have seen before i personally wouldnt put in more than 4standard sized birds. Its a lovely house though... my other thought was that the windows at the front will allow light in and if the nest boxes arent dark enough they may feel unsafe laying and/or be able to see the eggs and are more likely to eat them. Hope this helps.  :wink:
Check out my training courses! e-mail me for details: Chicken Keeping Courses in Cambridge

blossom1044

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 11:18 »
I've seen these at our local pet shop and personally would only put 4 bantams in or 2-3 other larger birds in.  I saw them with the chickens in at the pet store and I thought more than 2 was too much.  Luckily the store had only 2 in per cage and the birds seemed happy enough.
new to hens
Thanks
T

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 15:19 »
I would say the run is only big enough for two medium sized chickens to be honest.  It is only 1.7 sq metres which is still short of the recommended 1 sq metre per bird.

Why do manufacturers always make lovely sleeping and nesting  accommodation and neglect the welfare of the hens during most of their waking life.   :evil:

You could extend the run if you want to keep more hens Debz  :D

xx

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 19:21
by NormandyMary
xx
Hello Newbie here

Started by tanya on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 16:22
by tanya
xx

Started by chickadee on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 11:27
by chickadee
xx

Started by smoggynal on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 14:06
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 31 queries.