Planning to start keeping chooks - Some questions I have...

• 14 Replies

Planner

Hi everyone.

We are planning to keep 5 or 6 hens for their eggs. This will be a first time for us and I have a small plot of land at the end of the garden that I am going to completely fence off. It will measure approx 5mtr by 2.5mtr and I will also fence the roof to prevent cats etc getting in.

We are looking at getting a hen house from Albany pets for them to shelter and lay in which will be within the contained area.

My first issue is that because we both work long hours, during the winter months (from about September onwards) we leave before it is light and return after dark. Because of this, we need the hens to freely “sort themselves out”, i.e. let themselves out in the morning and put themselves away once it is dark. Obviously we will ensure, once we are home, that they have plenty of food and water.

I am afraid that the chooks will need to be a little bit self sufficient some mornings.

Do they need to be locked in at night? Is that for their protection from predators or more for warmth?

Bearing that in mind, what chickens are better suited to that environment? Our first thought was to go for battery rescue, but maybe they will need more TLC as they have never had to fend for themselves.

Also has anyone had any experience of Albany pet supplies? Are the coops any good? Any recommendations for me based on the above?

I am sure there will be further questions to be asked – but thanks if these can be answered.

John
The man with a plan

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:03 »
To be honest I wouldn't get them if you don't have time for them.  It wouldn't be fair

FCG

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 11:06 »
Unless yours is a very secure run and coop, yes you will have to lock them up. However they'll usually tell you when it's time to get up after a few weeks (cluck cluck cluuuuuuuk) so i've been told and will go inside when they want. Chickens can handle cold, but they don't like it with draughts.

Personally i just got three of the lovely *, but wouldn't consider getting them if i knew i wouldn't be able to care for them.

Planner

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:11 »
Hi Compostqueen

Its not about "not having time" for them, its the practicalities of balancing our working day with theirs. We will be up and away in the mornings well before first light and back in the evenings after dark.
I have read that chickens need to be let out at dawn and back in at dusk and we will not be there to tend to then at these times in the winter months. Obviously once we are home we will then check on them.
They will always be safe from predatators due to the build of the run.

John

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:27 »
Hi John welcome to the forums  :D

Why so many hens ? 3-4 would probably suffice for most family's  they could give you 21+ eggs a week , the more room you give them the happier they will be, hens need a few minutes each day just to check they are all right good health etc. but apart from that they are usually quite happy doing their own thing .
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:33 »
I was thinking about your busy working lives which is why I suggested not having them.  

It's your decision at the end of the day and I'm not being nosey or telling you what to do, I'm just saying in your circs I wouldn't do it  :D   If you're out all day I really honestly don't see the point.  You could buy your eggs from a local hen keeper and wouldn't then have the worry about them while you were out at work or the hassle of coming home in the dark and having to clean them out etc.

I think keeping animals while working long hours is never a good idea.  I waited til my life style changed before I embarked on keeping them.  It's not what's best for you, it's about the animal and not being able to give them the time to care for them properly just worries me.  I love animals by the way  :D

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 14:47 »
Invest in an automated pop hole, this can be set to open and close at certain times so that if the chickens are in bed before you get in from work they will be safe in their coop, you can them double check them and lock their pen up.  I have one of these and its brilliant as my chooks go to bed about 4pm in the Winter and I know they are locked in safe.  I am lucky that my partner works at home a few days a week and I am usually here the days he is away so we are always about to allow them to free range.  The odd day we are both out they are kept locked in a fairly large pen, but we and our neighbours suffer, they spend the whole day shouting to be let out and jumping up at the door which makes me feel SO GUILTY!  I think it may depend on the breed you choose, I have black rocks and they love human company, I need to spend a proportion of my time with them on a daily basis to keep them happy as they love sitting on my lap, having a stroke and generally being with me.  Some breeds may not be as 'needy', so check.  I am no expert so can't help but there are many on this site that I am sure will advise.  Good luck whatever your decision!

Porffor

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 15:15 »
I was about to suggest a pop hole but got to remember that the run needs to be secure as sometimes hens can get locked out - if go to bed late, or if it's cloudy/raining and the door is running on a daylight sensor. there is a timer you can get though, but you are looking at around £100 for a timer and auto unit.

I do think that you'll be missing out of so much not being around your chooks, and a fox may well learn that you are not around.

Surely whilst you are pushed for time it'd be better to just buy some lovely freerange eggs?

henpecked

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 15:20 »
Planner, I want to add a possitive note to the thread. We are lucky enough that at the moment there is usually one of us around during the day and always am and pm to let out/lock in. However, chickens like any other pet/animal to some extent will have to work around their owners. We can't always provide the "perfect" chicken environment...but it will always be 110% better that what they could be enduring in any intensive set up. Yep, we're always around but we can't always bring ourselves to drag ourselves out of bed first thing on a sat/sun morning, and yes, sometime we get that sinking feeling after being sucked in by Big Brother or other trash on the TV and realise it's after 10 and the chooks are still out!

Anyway...everyone, whether they work long hours or whatever has to think practically about keeping chooks. But, if you've thought, and you still want to do it, then go for it...they will cope, they are animals, programmed to survive without human interference and as long as you have done your best to ensure they are safe while you're not around...let's face it, they won't even notice you have gone!

It's simple really, secure run, plenty of food & water, they'll sort themselves out! Oh yeah, and don't forget to spoil them at the weekend  :lol:

Porffor

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 15:24 »
mine don't go to bed till 10pm at the moment - even 5 mins to 10 they are still out. ;)
And I don't let them out in the morning till 7.30am for fear of foxes - dogs are on the prowl before then. And sometimes we lay in till 8am at weekends if the kids allow! lol

Planner

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 15:46 »
Thanks all - The run that they will be in will be as fox proof as possible. I am investing in some livestock netting for the first metre up, so unless the foxes are equiped with quality side cutters they aint getting through that. Then all of the sides and roof will be covered with standard 1mm dia 25x13mm mesh.
The intention is to make it fox, dog and rat proof.

More so my original question was regarding, considering that they are in this enclosed enviroment, it is about their own personal comfort with the coop door left open all the time. I understand from freecyclegardner they don't like draughts so I need to improvise in the winter.

With regards to my other two questions,
Albany pet supplies - any comments?
Should I go for battery rescue or another breed

henpecked

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 16:09 »
I think if you have a coop with a pop-hole (a small door within a door) they shouldn't be too uncomfortable as long as that isn't too close to the nesting/perching area e.g. the door into my shed is is at the opposite end of the chooks comfy area so if the pop-hole only is open then there is little/nothing in the way of draft at their end.

No experience of Albany - could you post a link to the hen house you are thinking of buying???

Perhaps better going for another breed or a regular hybrid (brown or white intensive laying type birds) rather than ex-batts as from what i can gather you need to invest a bit of time into reacclimatising ex-batts...but I'm sure someone with experience will clarify.

I've found chooks pretty easy going really and all six are cheaper to keep that my one cat!!! Who, incidently got a little jealous of the ladies, then tried to wow me with his masculinity by squaring up to the ladies who proptly saw him off with a cackle and a ruffle of the feathers...I have never seen such a dented male pride  :roll:

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 16:55 »
I have no experience of ex batts although I understand they require lots of tlc and there can be a high fatality rate.  As I was new to chicken keeping I went for a hardy bird that is as 'disease resistant' as possible - Black Rocks.  Thought that it would be a good start whilst i was learning.  There are so many around I think you need to decide what you are looking for and match your needs to the breed or hybrid.

Planner

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 17:58 »
Having read the reviews on this site regarding Albany pets - Practical Poultry Forum I have decided not to go to them.

However I have just bought two of these Bargin  :D

bockhamptoners

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 18:02 »
wow what a bargain  :lol: mu hubbie is outside slaving away on our new hen house and the wood cost way more than that!!i dont think i will show him this!  well done  :D
Kevin & Kate
Us + 4 boyz + 2 dogs + 2 cats + 2 Guinea pigs + 4 chickens + horse (animal insurance is more than the cars!)

xx
Planning a new coop for 10 chooks

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 12:04
by Casey76
xx
keeping chooks warm

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 20:52
by shaun
xx
Keeping chooks warm in winter

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 22:59
by archiesgems
question
Which Chooks to Start with?

Started by Railside Rooster on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 11:02
by woodburner

Page created in 0.868 seconds with 30 queries.