Red Top thingy - where to put?

• 10 Replies

blossom1044

« on: June 20, 2008, 15:19 »
DH bought one.  We can't decide where to put it.  We have close neighbours as we are in a small row of semid's in country.

I gather they smell.  How bad and strong is it?  what kind of smell?
If they were on up on the rear apex of our garage about 12ft high.  How much could you smell it from the ground?  
Also our garden has levels which if standing on the last level it is 12ft away from suggested height, but your nose would be level with it.  This is the same for the house next door which is not part of our semi.  could I smelt 12ft away?

We use ALL our garden, as does our neighbour, at different times of the day (as the sun moves round).  It says to place where it gets most direct sun light.  This is in nicest part of garden and where DS has a play area.  I spend a lot of my free time there, so do I really want to smell the trap?

Can I put it on the side of our house down the driveway?  It gets sun for the afternoon, but not morning.  There are no windows that side of house or on neighbours side.
new to hens
Thanks
T

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 15:41 »
Mine is probably less than 10 metres away from our front door hanging under a tree so I must have missed reading the bit about being in direct sunlight  :oops:

I park within 6ft of it and only occasionaly get a whiff of if - perhaps mine doesn't smell that bad as it's not in direct sunlight.

blossom1044

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 15:50 »
Apparently the sunlight increases the smell and attraction to the flies.  I did consider a shady spot which is out of the way.

We've got to do something as with chickens, dogs and rabbit - the flies do like our place on a warm sunny day.

I've found the sticky papers in the garden don't work as really they are for indoor use.

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 18:23 »
excuse my ignorance, but what is this red top thingy you are talking about?:oops:

clare :)   :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 20:22 »
Quote from: "CMFAM"
excuse my ignorance, but what is this red top thingy you are talking about?:oops:

clare :)   :D

The best fly trap in the world probably  :lol: LINKY

Blossom keep it as far away as possible from your house they do pong quite a bit when they get warm, I personally think as long as they get some sun to warm them they will work ok, in fact they probably will not smell as much if they don't get too warm.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

blossom1044

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 21:14 »
rich - I'll download pics of garden & you can tell me where as I have a feeling anywhere in garden it is going to smell.  I presume putting it in woods behind house which is 120 ft from back door won't be effective?

Mine cost £8+£1 p&p on ebay from the same supplier.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 09:13 »
The woods may be a good place for it to go, I've just been reading the instructions and it says not closer than 5m from fly breeding areas and no nearer than 15m to living accommodation, I positive I remember reading some where that they effectively covered an acre of area. We have a small copse behind our house and I was contemplating putting mine up in there.

blossom1044

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 11:57 »
thanks Rick.  I think it'll have to go in woods behind house at about 45 ft from the summer house which is that orangy tan lookinf shed type thing at the back of the following picture on the link.  Since woodland is not "managed" I probably wouldn't get into trouble by the owners (hopefully).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27874888@N02/2599834465/

Our neighbours all have animals and so we all attract flies to some degree, so we are all hoping this can help keep the flies down.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 13:17 »
Like the garden blossom very nice  :D

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 23:33 »
i would think that you could put it a lot closer than that. i am sure you will catch huge numbers of flies but not necessarily the ones that are bothering you. They do get a bit pongy, but i only notice mine when i am within about ten feet. They are definitely better when the sun is shining on them. Remember you can always move it further away if it starts to be a problem. Personally i love watching what is going on inside them. Unfortunately mine is just about to stop working as it is virtually completely full of flies  :shock: There must be many thousands inside it so they certainly work well.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

violet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 16:53 »
Just put up a red top fly catcher this morning and already many flies in there!!! didn't realise it would work that quick...just waiting for the smell now! :roll:  

Also noticed this morning that having sent for it off the internet it is readily available in our local agricultural type shop....!

xx
Automatic Pop Hole thingy

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 18:19
by jo40

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 29 queries.