Another Chilli Question

• 14 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Another Chilli Question
« on: June 19, 2008, 17:10 »
OK, so my chillies (cayenne) were sown end of Apr, and are about 10 - 15 inch high now, yet theres now sign of flowers :-( They've been in the unheated GH with the door open as the days got warmer, I potted them straightinto a big pot rather than stepping up sizes, so I know they may have concentrated on a larger root system.

I failed with chillies last year because I put them outside too early but now the same seems to be happening again
Have I stuffed up? Because the OH will kill me!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Another Chilli Question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 17:13 »
Mine have had similar treatment to yours, are about the same height and 2 plants are JUST beginning to get flower buds. Maybe it's just one of those years? I haven't grown them before, so all new to me  :)

Just noticed yours were sown in April ... think I sowed mine in Feb, so maybe that's why they're a bit further on?

agapanthus

Another Chilli Question
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 17:51 »
They really do need a good bit of heat to get them going. Perhaps if you keep the greenhouse door closed you might have a bit more luck. The hot and cold weather we've been having is'nt something they like. I've planted all mine (last week) in a small polytunnel with a few of the side flaps open just for ventilation and they are growing well......I think they just wanted to get out of the pots they were in and get their roots into the soil:)

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Another Chilli Question
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 17:54 »
Mine haven't any flowers on them.... watch this space.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Another Chilli Question
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 18:01 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
They really do need a good bit of heat to get them going. Perhaps if you keep the greenhouse door closed you might have a bit more luck. The hot and cold weather we've been having is'nt something they like. I've planted all mine (last week) in a small polytunnel with a few of the side flaps open just for ventilation and they are growing well......I think they just wanted to get out of the pots they were in and get their roots into the soil:)

thanks agapanthus :-)

I had exacltly the same idea, so have been keeping the door shut these past couple of days..I just hope it aint too late!

Paula

matron

Another Chilli Question
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 21:24 »
I'm trying chillies this year and read that when the plants reached 8 inches high to pinch the tips out to encourage the buds to form. Is this wrong? Mine were a bit bigger than that when I read it and I have pinched the tips out. They have buds on and some are turning into flowers.

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Another Chilli Question
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 22:57 »
I grew these last year and kept them in my greenhouse all there life. They took a while to flower but when they did.....oh my god.
They seemed to sprout chillies all over the place. I had 8 plants in a large belfast  sink and i must of got 200 chillies off these 8 plants. I pickled most of them and still have loads left. Taste really good pickled with couple of cloves of garlic and some black pepper.
Does anyone know the shelf life of these things pickled.
Funny enough there seems to be a chilli plant popping up next to my cucumber plant at the moment. No idea why, unless one of the seeds found its way into the compost.
Done peppers this year though as I just had far to many chillies to do anything with. Ended up giving the damn things away.

daveinbracknell

Chillis
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 00:34 »
PeaPod?

My Apache's are flowering prolifically and have been for a couple of weeks still no large fruits (First time growing). and my chillis are about 2 ft tall, like you I have an unheated greenhouse but i kept the door closed, temp max it has gotten to is about 30degrees, I noticed a large growth spurt around the 25+ Degree level and no low temperature below say 9 degrees c.

My scotch bonnet, about 8-10 inches high, no flowers, same environment, my chilli fuego's just started flowering last week and my giant jalapenos not flowering yet.

You might  not  be doing something wrong it might be the variety is a bit slower.

Typically the temperature I think is the issue, mine where really slow like i said below 20 degrees C.

Dave

breathecosse

Another Chilli Question
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 01:08 »
Still early for natural growing conditions.
It's a little early for fruit.
 Pimento De Padron, Little Elf and Birds Eye have there first fruit on them
but my others are flowering at the moment.(around 50 varieties on the go)

Ray

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Another Chilli Question
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 12:04 »
Thanks everyone for their replies, Im keeping the door closed for most of the day, just opening for half hour or so when I water.  I was worried about the toms in there too, but they have start flowering this week :-)
You'll be the first to know when my chillies do! I just hope they dont cross pollinate with the peppers, Ive just found out that can happen! Still, that'll be a spicy bolognese  :shock:

Paula

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Another Chilli Question
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 12:17 »
Quote from: "peapod"
I just hope they dont cross pollinate with the peppers, Ive just found out that can happen! Still, that'll be a spicy bolognese  :shock:

Paula

That will only affect plants grown from seed saved, not this year's fruit!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Another Chilli Question
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 12:24 »
PHEW! I can feed them to the kids then  :D

Thanks DD   :D

Paula

Big Jen

Another Chilli Question
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 15:24 »
I have experimented this year with pinching the tops off.
Verdict is dont pinch the tops off!.
The ones I have left alone are starting to flower and naturally starting to branch out into bushy plants.
The ones that I pinched the tops out of are miles behind, just starting to produce side shoots and no sign of any flowers.
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

foxydan

Another Chilli Question
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 17:50 »
Am growing cayenne this year for the first time and so far it is very successful. I'm growing them at home and sowed in feb. I have about 15 chillis on one plant and four are now beginning to turn red. I also changed the pots twice.

The problem I think I'm going to have is what to with them. Would like to make chilli flakes.....should I just hand them and dry them, then stick them in food processor?.....any help with this bit would be good.

MarkG

Another Chilli Question
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 19:29 »
I'm growing Cayenne too. Planted them around March. Kept them inside until end of May and then moved them onto our south facing sheltered patio. They are 12" - 15" and have just started branching out at the top and forming flower buds.

They just grew straight upwards until a week or so ago when they started branching out and developing lots of flower buds. There are two buds at the start of each branch.

I was getting worried as nothing seemed to be happening and had also read to pinch out at 12" if they hadn't started branching. I had 5 plants so pinched out two of them. Shortly afterwards the three I had left started branching out, the two I'd pinched aren't really doing much. I'll leave them all alone next year.

xx
Another Chilli and tom question

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 13:05
by Cheshire Phill
xx
Another chilli question!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 14:21
by fletcherbaker
xx
Chilli & Tom question

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 20:04
by sunshineband
xx
Chilli question

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 08:42
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 28 queries.