another newbie with some questions

• 2 Replies

bockhamptoners

« on: June 18, 2008, 16:28 »
:D  :D  hello. we are brand spanking new to chickens but really fancy the idea. we have 4 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 horse. until the other night i knew nothing of chickens, i spent 3 or so hours reading your forum 2 nights ago ,spent 2 hours last night reading a chicken book and am now an expert!!!  only jokin  :lol:  but i do know a bantom from a hybrid and a RIR from a lovely barnaveld (sp) sooooo now we need a house and some girls. we would really have loved to of had some ex-batts but being complete newcommers we thought not. we have been to two chicken places one last night and one today the chickens lastnight were 18 weeks old (is it pol or somthing?) they were ok but cost $18 (excuse $) todays ones were lovely and cost $6 but..... were not inoculated and he wasnt sure how old they were??? so my question is.... is $18 for a hybrid too expenxive? and is $6 for a barnaveld without its jabs(or however they do them) too cheap?  can they be innoculated when we bring them home? if we can is it expensive? we were going to have a coop and let them out everyday but reading on here or my book it said we should have a run on the coop for when the weather is bad or we go out etc. how long can they stay in coop and small run for....... change of plan we have been out in the garrden and the run has got much bigger but there is a hawthorn a Vibernum and a honeysuckle will the plants kill the girls or will the girls kill the plants?   right enough bombarding for now  :oops:  your help will greatly be appreciated   :D
Kevin & Kate
Us + 4 boyz + 2 dogs + 2 cats + 2 Guinea pigs + 4 chickens + horse (animal insurance is more than the cars!)

Porffor

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 17:22 »
Hello and welcome! :)

I've a pony from your 'neck of the woods' :lol: a forest bred new forest pony (of Warren Play-away - as you have horses you may know him.. or not ;) )

We are new to chook keeping too and love the site. :) not sure on the plants but mine nibble a honeysuckle and haven't died yet.. so fingers x'd no one tells you it's highly poisonous.
I did have to pull up some iris bulbs for fear of them making the girls ill though.

bockhamptoners

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 18:18 »
hello, warren playaway is a very well know and respected lad. not meaning to advertize another forum when i have only just joined yours but have you been on the 'nfed'? you will love it!
 thanks for the info :D  we would love some more especially about inoculations or lack off in this case!

xx
Hello, newbie with questions

Started by Tweety on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 09, 2007, 20:52
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
Newbie with questions

Started by arwen on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 21:56
by Jellyhead
xx
newbie questions

Started by 3ps on The Hen House

42 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 16:19
by 3ps
xx
Hi all and a few questions from a newbie.

Started by Pud_Pod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 21:11
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 28 queries.