Brown bugs in onions.. is it allium leaf miner?

• 10 Replies

Nikki_1

« on: June 16, 2008, 22:04 »
Hi,

I'm very new to growing veg so I need a little help.

I have just pulled up a few of my onions and under the first layer or two are little brown/burgundy bugs.  :(   They are small, about 6-8mm.  

I've looked in my books and around on the web but I can't find any photos that look like it except for one of a Allium Leaf Miner pupae.

A guy further up the plot told me earlier this year that he lost all his leeks last year to some little bugs but he didn't go into detail.

My plot is in Sandwell, West Mids.

Any advise? I'll remember to take my camera next time and see if I can get a photo.

gobs

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 22:17 »
I don't know what they are, but if your onion looks healthy, stop worrying.

Onion fly larvae IS  in the onion, you can't miss it. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Hole Digger

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 21:52 »
Hi Nikki, Ime afraid i think you have the dreaded allium leaf miner,the midlands and mid stafford shire seems to have been really badly infested the last few years,my only advice is to cover with enviromesh when you plant out,and keep covered until june at the earliest.Oh and burn all onions that are affected before the pupae hatches

gobs

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 22:13 »
Well, if you think it's allium leaf miner, you got to notify it to defra, I'm afraid, it's so much just setting foot in the UK, they don't have a clue as to it's life cycle on this climate.

subaru

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 22:25 »
Hi

It could be onion fly. Adults look like small house flys and the creamy coloured maggots eat the roots then burrow into the bulb. Late spring to early summer is prime time for this.There is no effective treatment and the only thing you can do is pull up and destroy the crop to prevent the maggots pupating and then spreading the problem with a second brood.

Subaru.
Please leave things how you would like to find them.

neil1967

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 18:26 »
Hi Nikki and welcome.

sorry don't have an answer but as my plot is at pound road Oldbury so also Sandwell based i was wondering if you're close enough for me to be worrying about the 400+ onions and 250 leeks i'm growing.

Neil

Hole Digger

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 22:00 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Well, if you think it's allium leaf miner, you got to notify it to defra, I'm afraid, it's so much just setting foot in the UK, they don't have a clue as to it's life cycle on this climate.
                             Hi gobs, Have notified defra this year and last year they dont seem that concerned as yet ,it doesn't seem to have got into the commercial crop as yet,i think the insectisides the farmers are using is keeping it at bay,of course were not allowed to use anything like that anymore,so we have a problem. :!:

gobs

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 22:47 »
Quote from: "Hole Digger"
Quote from: "gobs"
                             Hi gobs, Have notified defra this year and last year they dont seem that concerned as yet ,it doesn't seem to have got into the commercial crop as yet,i think the insectisides the farmers are using is keeping it at bay,of course were not allowed to use anything like that anymore,so we have a problem. :!:

They are usually not that concerned with you, but if they know, then there is a national info on mapping, spread and life cycle developed, which helps for the future for everybody.

Actually, I have no up-date info from 20003/04 being present in West Midlands.  :?

Hole Digger

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 19:47 »
I can assure you it has been present here in the midlands for at least 7 years, i first had a problem with it in autumn planted leeks 5 years ago and last year out of 60 allotments 95% were affected, personally i lost all spring sown onions ,shallots and garlic,so over here were very concerned at not being able to grow alliums without fully covering up.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 20:24 »
Well, you see, nobody seems to be aware of that. 2003 it is when first registered as present in the country.

gobs

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 20:25 »
Well, I think, DD would spot it anyway, 5 years ago was 2003. :roll:

clip
Allium Leaf Miner

Started by CSChris89 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2023, 09:11
by steven c
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by Leafydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 16:54
by sunshineband
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by vron on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 01:08
by vron
xx
Allium leaf miner

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 22:28
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.746 seconds with 28 queries.