broody hen now egg eating

• 6 Replies

llluff

« on: June 16, 2008, 13:57 »
I've been lurking here for a while now picking up lots of helpful info, but I would appreciate a little specific advice please?

We have 3 black rocks, which we've had for about 3 months (although they are about 18 months old) They have laid consistently since we got them, but one of them (we call her big black, not very good at names!) has gone broody. We have been chucking her out of the nest box at every opportunity and shutting them all out of the coop, once the eggs have been laid, but we are now well into out 3rd week of broodiness.

One of the other chickens (little black!) lays quite early in the morning, so we can't get to it before broody chicken does and yesterday we discovered that she had eaten the early egg. We managed to get the later egg off her, but she had pecked a hole in it. This morning she was covered in egg and she had obviously eaten little blacks early egg again.

Someone has suggested that she might have been trying to help her chicks out (since we are probably over 21 days), which is rather sad, if true.

It think I have come to the conclusion that I need to isolate her, although I have no easy way of doing that. I was thinking of a rabbit run or something like that, but would appreciate any suggestions?

The other question is how long does she have to stay isolated? Is there some way of knowing when she has got over it?

Any suggestions would be very gratefully accepted.

Sarah C

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 16:51 »
Does anyone have any ideas on this?
We think we may have a  broody hen, although not sure as only been at this since March. Today she has not ventured out of hte egg box. When I got home and tried to get teh eggs she sort of growled at me, but I did manage to move her out of the way. She was sat on her's and the other hen's egg and there was what looked like a beak hole in the other one's egg. I took them both out but she hasn't come out to play. She is usually the first out and very greedy so not like her at all. She has all her feathers ruffled and clearly didn't want me to get under her.
Teh other one had been sat in there as well, but I think that's because she follows everything she does anyway as potential broody is definitely in charge. She did come out after I moved her and is now pecking about in garden as normal.
What do I do? how do you stop them being broody and is that what it sounds like she is?
Someone help please, am worried in case she's actually ill.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 17:10 »
Sarah C

Yes, she's broody and if you don't want her to hatch fertile eggs then you will have to do your best to keep her out of the nest box I'm afraid.

llluff

You can only keep hoying her off the nest at every opportunity or you could put her in a run on her own with food and water so she gets fed up. If I don’t really know what to say to you about the egg eating as my broody ate three of her eggs broke a fourth open which I managed to save and killed the fifth and then threw it out of the nest.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 17:34 »
I have six broodies at the moment  :shock:  :shock: they are soooooo bad tempered....everytime I go into a nestbox theres at least 2 or 3 of them in there! :lol:  :lol:

faithfulservant03

broody hen eats egg
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:32 »
I have been told by several people that when a hen pecks her eggs its because she is lacking calcium. and that you should allow her some old shells.or some thing with lots of calcium. I have also been told that laying pellets provide all the vitimans they need. Good Luck hope it helps u.

Vember

Re: broody hen eats egg
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 08:03 »
Quote from: "faithfulservant03"
I have been told by several people that when a hen pecks her eggs its because she is lacking calcium. and that you should allow her some old shells.or some thing with lots of calcium. I have also been told that laying pellets provide all the vitimans they need. Good Luck hope it helps u.

I leave oyster shell and grit down at all times for my girls, they also have layers in the morning and mixed corn in the afternoon. I think it's best to let them have grit etc at all times, defo doesn't do any harm  :lol:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 08:43 »
Me too Vember

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 28 queries.