1st courgette ready to eat?

• 11 Replies

Big Jen

« on: June 07, 2008, 21:35 »
My first edible thing ready to eat but cant bear to pick him!
He's beautiful isn't he  :lol:  :lol:

Had my camera out today, cant you tell!!
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Little Miss Half the Plot

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 21:39 »
fabulous!! I've got a couple a courgettes starting to look good too. Yum!!

iwantanallotment

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 00:36 »
He's lovely BJ, but pick him and enjoy him :twisted:
He's got some brothers coming alongside, so you can admire them maybe...but eat this 'un  :lol:

amberleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 06:23 »
After all that loving care and attention. Protecting from predators, feeding,  worrying about their health and future. Watching them grow from the start of  their life until they develop into their prime.

Then we chop them up and eat them.

Delicious.
If it rots compost it
If it burns burn it
If it is chocolate eat it

Alex 98

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:18 »
get it down your neck, quick!
Alfie's Grandad

Johnny Norfolk

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 08:17 »
I think grow bags are great and look at your result. I see you are using the new deeper bags as I am this year. Let us know your address and we will all come round and eat it for you.

Well done a great result.

What variety is it ???  What else are you growing in bags. ?
Support The Country Way of Life

Big Jen

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 16:09 »
The variety is "nice de rond" never tried it before. Also trying Black Beauty and Lebanese courgettes but in the ground not in bags. Have a Black Beauty nearly ready to eat as well.
I grow all my toms in growbags with a bottomless pot on the top and they are doing really well, loads of flowers and small toms. I have 8 different varieties this year!  Have 2 cucumbers in a bag in a plastic mini greenhouse but they are a bit poor looking as yet.
Here are pictures of the toms

Oliveview

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 17:42 »
My Nice de Rond look nothing like yours, mine fruit  are small and pale, infact I have yet to get an edible fruit :(   There is plenty of leaf growth- the leaves alone are beautiful.  My fruit keep rotting or falling off :(   I guess it is something to do with my watering?  It is very hot here now, low to mid 30´s they get fed by a drip watering system that is buried under the soil- can´t have it above as it rots in the sun :(   The ´normal´ shaped courgettes are fine, I´ve eaten a few of them and the cucumbers.... but the Nice de Rond??? :(
Pamela

Big Jen

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 18:45 »
If the fruits are dropping off- it could be they are not getting polinated. Are there plenty of insects around? You could try hand pollinating.
BJ

Mmm Veg

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 16:56 »
That courgette looks fab! I'd scoff it asap before some little blighter gets it.

I am growing round courgettes too but yellow ones. They semm to be doing pretty well and i shall post a pic up when i can. But i do seem to be having a problem with my 'normal' courgette plants fruits rotting off at the end also. Do you think this is also because they are not being polinated? They are getting to about 12 cm long then going brown at the end.. very disapointing.

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 21:53 »
I looked up the bit about my seeds on the T & M website and it said eat while small- so I picked my golf ball sized courgettes and ate 2 for tea tonight- very good :D   I think where I went wrong was waiting for them to get to melon size :shock:
I also picked my first aubergine too :D   and the very best news is Hubby does not like either- so plenty for me to eat :D   I´ll probably be sick of aubergines and courgettes by mid July!! :lol:
Pamela
PS I might have a tomato ripening :D  :D -  I´m still getting told off every day from the Spanish neighbour who said I should have left my badly blighted toms in the ground, they would have got better he says :shock: I just mumble rude words under my breathe :roll:

Big Jen

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 22:20 »
Mmm Veg- I am not an expert on courgettes but I was told previously that can happen. Also I understand that you need both male and female flowers open at the same time and early in the season that doesnt always happen. I seem to have an awful lot of male flowers at the moment?
Oliveview- I think they probably are best when they are small but its so tempting to let them get just a bit bigger :)  I still havent eaten mine, tomorrow for Tea I think I will. I am trying Aubergines this year but to be honest I dont really like them! Good luck with your Tom.
BJ

xx
What do I need to do to new bed ready for

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 09:22
by Beetroot queen
xx
Getting ready!

Started by PeterR on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 20:07
by PeterR
xx
OK I'm ready for them !!!!

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 22, 2015, 22:23
by Urbanite
xx
ready already!

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:19
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 36 queries.