Peach Tree crisis

• 11 Replies

Bombers

Peach Tree crisis
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:20 »
My 2yr old Peach tree is suffering from 'Severe' leaf curl. Iv'e sprayed with Bordeaux mixture, but it's looking pretty grim. Questions -
Can I help it by:
a) removing any/all of the leaves, in the hope that it will re grow new one's.
b) Feed it
c) Burn it and buy a new one., and make a note to self to spray in February to prevent reoccurence?
d) give up and go to the pub?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Trillium

Peach Tree crisis
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 15:35 »
Leaf curl is a disease spread by rain, and most peach varieties are susceptible to it. At my previous house, my tree got hit badly every spring and leaves fell by the bucket load. I just left it and once the rainy season was over, the tree put out new leaves. Gather and burn old leaves.
However, the tree can do this only so many years before it weakens, so I found that feeding it really bumped up the vigor. But not just any food; it needs to be fish fertilizer or a whole dead large fish buried right under the tree. Honestly. The North American Indians always did this for good crops, especially the 3 sisters method. My sons would go out fishing for carp just to put under the peach tree and we got the most luscious peaches you could imagine.
I have 3 trees at my current home, no sign of leaf curl yet (knocks head to touch wood) and I still feed them every spring with liquid fish fertilizer. (Sons now live in the big city, darn!)

chrissie B

Peach Tree crisis
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 19:34 »
our nectarine tree is suffering with this and the ants have been farming green fly on it as well , we sprayed it in October as per instructions and again in february and again two weeks later and it was all going well fruit came early and the tree now looks a sad mess hope the fruit can survive this , was looking forward to more peach jam .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Bombers

Peach Tree crisis
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:01 »
Thanks Trill...I'm off to  get some fishing done this weekend then! ......Dirty work :lol:

weeeed

Peach Tree crisis
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 17:34 »
If you want to stop the leave curl you need to collect every leaf from the ground and take off every leaf on the tree which is infected. If you don't do this it will come back worse every year. Autumn and spring are the best time to spray. Before the blossom if possible and remember collect and burn the leaves. Good luck and happy eating. :wink:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

ColinGrigson

Peach Tree crisis
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:38 »
Having a reputation in our village for being a little different I don't think I would risk my neighbours witnessing me burying fish at the base of my fruit trees , although I imagine the smell that would emenate after a couple of weeks would put off even the most determined 'scrumper'  :!:

Trillium

Peach Tree crisis
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 14:20 »
Because we didn't want to damage the tree roots, we didn't bury our fish too deeply. Surprisingly there was never a smell nor did the neighbourhood cats and assorted predators come around. Since you're already considered different, Colin, take the plunge and love your trees  :wink:

Bombers

Peach Tree crisis
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 14:40 »
I didn't catch anything anyway! :cry:
 Trill. I did try and get some fish fertiliser, but only BF&B available at my usual supplier of lotions/potions. I'll try looking on the tinterwebby for some. :)
Weed. I have cleaned all affected leaves and cleared the ground around the tree. It has sprouted a couple of new leaves, so I think there is hope for it yet. :)
Many thanks both, for your suggestions. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Bombers

Re: Peach Tree crisis
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 20:53 »
Well, Seeing as this post has resurfaced, I thought I would post an short update.
My Peach has definately recovered, but no fruit this year.  :(

But thanks for everyones help.

madcat

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 21:16 »
I've got  a peach and a necterine.  They get peach leaf curl and recover.  I do spray Bordeaux mix if there is a still day when I am home and it is above freezing and not raining in Feb or very early March (hens teeth anyone?).

But they also dont fruit every year - sometimes one of them takes a gap year.  ::) No worries, keep feeding (In my case bonemeal in the spring and Tom food when I go past to water said toms) and it will be as right as rain.  No probs.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 06:08 »
Glad it survived  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 15:24 »
Yes, bombers, the tree is taking a recovery year. It's also possible frost got any early flowers. I feed my peach trees every few weeks with a liquid fish emulsion. There's something in it that really gives the peaches a boost both in vigour and in fruit taste. Either that or bury inedible raw fish or fish parts under the tree. I've done that in the past and the next year got a whopper crop despite some leaf curl loss.

clip
Sunflower crisis

Started by micou on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 05, 2016, 08:44
by micou
xx
Seed identity crisis

Started by rictic on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 08:30
by compostqueen
clip
Tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2021, 08:44
by johnjsdb
xx
what is this tree please.

Started by wengren on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 18:39
by Johndeb

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 28 queries.