Upon the first visit of the new year;

• 3 Replies

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
« on: January 08, 2007, 17:26 »
Happy New Year to ane and a';
Was up on Sunday to pay rent and take stock ahead of the coming year:-
Lifted last of swedes & beetroot and picked last of sprouts. Plot all clear now except for strawbs, leeks and the garlic I planted at the start of December (yet to surface, unsurprisingly). Except, that is, for two red cabbage stalks left in the ground from those I harvested last autumn. They seem to be re-growing OK from the original stalks. Am I right just to leave them?
My first year 'temporary' greenhouse has been totally decimated by the gales. A number of 3ftx3ft perspex panels just blown in/out, blowing the beading off, so should be able to patch it up again. It did its job, though. When I close the gate, the top bar closes along with all the vertical slats attached, but the bottom bar just stays where it is, having become completely seperated from same vertical slats. Memo; Buy nails.
Want to try and 'demarcate' my beds better with some sort of edging bedded in round the perimeters. Any advice?
Big bushy thing in top (south east) corner now 50% cut back, revealing a rockery! Worried about moving the piles of the cuttings I hacked off it in October in case there are hedgehogs hibernating inside. Advice?
Just need the nights to start drawing out.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 17:56 »
Hi Mick Happy New Year to you too!!!!!

I have several cabbages stalks that I left in the ground, and you do get re-growth from them.  Okay, not as good as the original, but still tastes like cabbage!!!  So leave them in if you don't need the ground yet and harvest the secondary cabbages!!!!

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 19:39 »
im with nanaon the cabbages i leave em to come agin n they are nice .if not fed em to ya chicks or rabbits ,big bushy thing id move its not dense even to hold hedgehogs they like it in nice n deep piles to hibernate , if you can get hold of them scaffold boards make good  bed edges or are you talking something growing .wel if you are you cant go wrong with a rosemary hedge kept down to about a foot . take the cuttings when they start to come on teh parent bush ,sharp sand and compost a little hormone rooting powder and trimmed to a leaf node your set , i had over 60 for a customer in pots and imade £3 a pot when i delivered them. oh and leave the sprout heads as well they wil come onto be lovly tops for dinner
still alive /............

Annie

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 09:51 »
If you cot a cross in the top of your cut cabbage stalk it with regrow 4 little cabbages,I don`t know why but it works.

Page created in 0.565 seconds with 28 queries.